Horace Mann School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
As the oldest public day school for the deaf in the United States, the Horace Mann School remains unique by serving students ages 3-22 in a comprehensive school that is addressing education reform. As a premier school for deaf education, Horace Mann is active in the latest instructional trends, providing opportunities during the school day for professional learning communities for all faculty. Assessment data for each student are thoughtfully and individually analyzed to guide continuous student growth and achievement.
- Premier school for the deaf with historical distinction
- Individualized, personalized clinical and academic services for deaf and hard of hearing students in pre-school through high school
- Services for children with cochlear implants technology: Mass. General Hospital Pediatrician Residency site
- Audiological and speech/language therapy
- American Sign Language (ASL) instruction: Voice with sign support and oral instruction only
- Connection Team psychological, social, clinical, and diagnostic services
- Parent/infant outreach program for deaf and hard of hearing
- Award winning staff, including Principal of the Year, Ambassador in Education award from Met Life/ National Civic League, 2006, and a Shattuck Award honoring outstanding service by a city employee
- Wide screen internet and digital video Emergency Communication System in eight central locations throughout the school
- Doctor and nurse practitioner from Joseph M. Smith Health Center on campus
- Internship and clinical site for 25 graduate students from Boston University, Boston College, Lesley University, Emerson College, Harvard University, McDaniel College (Maryland), and San Diego State University (California)
Special academic programs
- Comprehensive program for students with an Individualized Education Program who are deaf and hard of hearing
- AIIM-International, Fidelity, ImageMax, DataMax, Mass. Housing, Mellon Bank CORE, and IKON
40 Armington Street
Allston, MA 02134
Phone: 617-635-8534 (V/TTY)
7:20 a.m.-2:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:10 p.m.
School Type: Special education