The Henry L. Higginson School serves students in K0–grade 2 with and without disabilities, including English language learners, in a fully inclusive setting.
Our mission is to support our students in reaching their highest potential academically, socially, and emotionally. The experiences and lessons that children learn at the Higginson will help them to develop into responsible and confident students and individuals, both inside and outside the classroom.
We provide a safe and positive learning community that is developmentally appropriate to the special needs of our children. Our staff focuses on the abilities and skills of each child and builds on their strengths. With parents’ support and participation, we are ensuring the success of the students’ academic career. We support each student by monitoring progress, making decisions to lead, and creating an environment that enables all our students to reach their full potential.
- School for early learners in a neighborhood setting
- Full inclusion of students with disabilities and students in regular education
- Very small classes: the teacher: student ratio for K0/K1 is 2:15 and the ratio for K2-grade 2 is 2:20
- K0-Grade 2 SEI inclusion strand for English language learners
- Highly qualified and committed staff: All teachers hold Masters’ degrees and hold several teaching certificates and licensure
- Highly qualified paraprofessionals who hold an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Diversified staff who speak the various languages of the students we serve: English, Spanish, Cape Verdean Creole, French, Portuguese, Cantonese and Haitian Creole
- Strong support team to meet the needs of our varied learners
- Specialists in physical education, visual arts, and yoga
- School nurse in the building five days per week
- Guaranteed assignment to an inclusive classroom at the Higginson/Lewis K-8 school for grade 3.
Special academic programs
- Full inclusion of general education, special education, and English language learner students
Before and after school programs in our building
- After school: none in the building; some students participate in community-based programs.
160 Harrishof Street
Roxbury, MA 02119
9:30 am - 4:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:40 p.m.
Level: Early Childhood
School Type: Traditional