Air Quality Testing
- Between September 4, 2020, and October 1, 2020, Cashins & Associates, Inc. conducted independent Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) testing in all classrooms, offices, and other common spaces at BPS schools.
The results of Indoor Air Quality tests for all BPS schools are available below.
- The purpose of the inspection was to record indoor air quality readings throughout the rooms used during the school year. Every space was tested for five different Indoor Air Quality measurements: carbon dioxide, temperature, dust, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and carbon monoxide. Test results include a detailed list of the standards and guidelines for these measurements.
Upon detecting any measurement that exceeded standard levels, Cashins & Associates, Inc. notified BPS. BPS then inspected the space, addressed the cause of the problem, and retested the space.
- This round of IAQ testing is in addition to the two environmental audits conducted annually by the Boston Public Health Commission while schools are in use.
Air Quality Test Results
Below are the results of each school’s indoor air quality (IAQ) tests. These reports include information about air quality standards and guidelines, when tests were conducted, who conducted them, and an explanation of what was found.
Summary of District Result:
- Number of school buildings tested: 132
- Number of spaces tested: 7,261
- Number and percentage of spaces passed on initial tests: 7,247; 99.81%
- Number of spaces with exceedances: 14
- Number of exceedances resolved and that passed retests: 14
Details on Exceedances:
- Of the 7,261 spaces tested, seven spaces exceeded the standards for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) due to art supplies, cleaning product use, and perfume. All seven spaces passed their retests.
- Of the 7,261 spaces tested, six spaces exceeded the standards for dust due to HVAC work being conducted. All six spaces passed their Dust retests.
- Of the 7,261 spaces tested, one space exceeded the standards for CO2 due to occupancy with closed windows and a closed door at the time of the test. The space passed its CO2 retests.