Home Health Checklist
BPS families must monitor their children for symptoms of COVID-19 every day before school. Some symptoms of COVID-19 are the same as the flu or a bad cold; please do not assume it is another condition. When in doubt, stay home and call your primary care provider.
YOUR CHILD MUST STAY HOME if your child or anyone in the home has any of the symptoms listed below:
- Fever (100.0°F or higher without fever-reducing medicine), chills or shaking chills
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches or body aches
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Nasal congestion or runny nose
- Any student who is in close contact with a person who has COVID-19 must stay home from school and quarantine for 10 days from the date of the last interaction with that person.
- If you have recently traveled outside of Massachusetts: please review the current order related to out-of-state travel (below). Your child will be required to quarantine for 10 days - except in the case of
- a student, age 11 and older, with a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered no more than 3 days before arriving in Massachusetts
- a student, age 10 and under, with a parent/guardian negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered no earlier than 3 days before your arrival in Massachusetts.
- ALL students must quarantine or meet the 3-day testing rule if returning from international travel.
If your child has any symptoms:
- they must remain home and be evaluated by their primary care provider to consider testing for COVID-19.
- parents/guardians must report the absence to the school administration and school nurse, noting if the absence is COVID-19 related.
- inform the school nurse of the medical provider's recommendations, in writing, before returning to school.
- Call your child’s primary care physician, local community health center, or local COVID-19 testing site. A list of test sites across Massachusetts is available here and test sites throughout Boston can be found here. Some sites may require a pre-screening, referral, and/or appointment.
- Call your child’s school nurse for help.
Out of State or Country Travel
All travelers arriving in Massachusetts – including Massachusetts residents returning home – are required to self-quarantine for 10 days. There are exceptions to the Governor’s travel restrictions; travelers from a small list of close or adjacent states arriving in Massachusetts are exempt from this directive and need not quarantine for 10 days. Please also refer to the City of Boston Travel Policy.