Rafael Hernández K-8 School
The Hernández is a dual language school (English/Spanish) — the first in the city of Boston (1970) and in Massachusetts. Every student is taught in English and Spanish, regardless of their home language.
Students engage in thematic studies, which vary according to the grade and Common Core State Standards. We are a Discovery School. This allows us to have different curriculum options (not the same texts, tests or schedules) in use in the school system. Teachers work cooperatively in teams to meet the needs of all learners.
In 2012, Margarita Muñiz Academy opened its doors to all high school students who are learning in a dual language school or who have proficiency in both languages. All our 8th graders are guaranteed assignment to MMA if they choose.
Currently there are seven Educators of the Year and two Massachusetts Teachers of the Year teaching at our school. The staff is experienced, innovative and demand excellence from themselves as well as their students. We also have a low turnover among staff allowing stability in planning long-term curricular goals. The arts are integrated throughout the curriculum through collaboration among music/movement specialists and classroom teachers. The Hernández community partners with families to meet the needs of each child.
- Dual language: all students learn in both English and Spanish
- Project based learning
- Integrated arts curriculum and partnership with area museums
Special academic programs
- Two-way, dual language program, English and Spanish
- Friends of the Rafael Hernandez, Inc., Institue of Contemporary Art, Boston Institute for Psychotherapy, Museum of Fine Arts, Massachusetts College of Art, , Wellesley College, 826 Boston
After school programs in our building
- After school, 2:30-6:00 p.m.: Tutoring, homework, arts & crafts, martial arts, drama, visual arts, yoga, dance, African dance and drumming, Sole Train, Strong Women Strong Girls, middle school peer leadership; $300 per month, partial scholarships available.
61 School Street
Roxbury, MA 02119
8:30 am - 3:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:10 p.m.
School Type: Regular