All Boston students in grades 7-12 living and attending school in Boston will receive an MBTA “M7” pass through their school.
An M7 is identical to the pass many high school students received in the past; It can be used at any time during the day for transportation on the MBTA and on select Commuter Rail trips within Boston. M7's are active 24/7 throughout the school year and partially throughout summer. For more information on summer tpasses, see below.
If your child is in 6th grade and does not meet eligibility requirements to qualify for an M7, you have the option to purchase a monthly student pass which is discounted at $30 from any charlie card store location.
Tpass Request Forms
MBTA Waiver Request Form
MBTA Waiver Request Forms are used if your child is assigned a T Pass and you’d like to request yellow bus service instead.
- If approved, you cannot revert back to a T Pass within the same school year.
- If approved, your request will not carry over to the following school year and needs to be resubmitted as needed.
MBTA 6th Grade Opt-In Form
MBTA 6th Grade Opt In Forms are used if your child is assigned to a yellow bus, and you'd like to request an M7 Tpass instead.
- If your request is approved, you cannot revert back to yellow bus service within the same school year.
The following is an update for those students who have an MBTA M7 pass through BPS and are planning to use the MBTA during the summer:
- On July 1 your Charlie Card will automatically switch from an M7 Pass to a Student CharlieCard. That means that you can continue using your pass, but you will no longer be able to use it to ride the MBTA free of charge.
However, we encourage students to continue using their Student CharlieCards because they will automatically receive a discounted fare by using it. There are two options for students to continue using their Student CharlieCards:
Option 1: Like a regular CharlieCard, you can add money to the card at any MBTA fare vending machine. If you use your Student CharlieCard, you will automatically receive a 50% discounted fare on all MBTA rides.
Option 2: You can also purchase a monthly pass at any MBTA Fare Vending Machine by tapping their Student CharlieCard on the machine. Purchasing a monthly pass on your Student Charlie Card is less expensive than buying a regular pass ($30 a month for students versus $90 a month for adults).
- On August 31, these cards will expire. If you have added money to your card, the value of that will go down to zero. As a result, if you add money to the card you should plan to spend the entire amount by August 31.
- All students in grades 7-12 living and attending school in Boston will receive a new M7 pass on the first day of school.