All Boston students in grades 7-12 living and attending school in Boston will receive an MBTA “M7” pass through their school.
An M7 is identical to the pass many high school students received in the past; It can be used at any time during the day for transportation on the MBTA and on select Commuter Rail trips within Boston. M7's are active 24/7 throughout the school year and partially throughout summer. For more information on summer tpasses, see below.
If your child is in 6th grade and does not meet eligibility requirements to qualify for an M7, you have the option to purchase a monthly student pass which is discounted at $30 from any charlie card store location.
Tpass Request Forms
MBTA Waiver Request Form (Unfortunately due to the circumstances of Covid-19, we are unable to accept these requests for this school year.)
MBTA Waiver Request Forms are used if your child is assigned a T Pass and you’d like to request yellow bus service instead.
- If approved, you cannot revert back to a T Pass within the same school year.
- If approved, your request will not carry over to the following school year and needs to be resubmitted as needed.
MBTA 6th Grade Opt-In Form
MBTA 6th Grade Opt In Forms are used if your child is assigned to a yellow bus, and you'd like to request an M7 Tpass instead.
- If your request is approved, you cannot revert back to yellow bus service within the same school year.
For Boston students who attend an out-of-district school:
All Boston students in grades 7-12 are eligible for an M7 MBTA pass. Below, students who live in Boston but attend school outside of Boston can find instructions for proving their eligibility and instructions on how to pick up their M7 MBTA pass.
Students must prove eligibility for their M7 by establishing Boston residency and that they are currently in grades 7-12.
- Students can use the same documents outlined by Welcome Services to prove Boston residency for attendance at a Boston public school.
- We then need to confirm that they are currently in grades 7-12. Possible documents could include:
- A letter from their school on official school letterhead;
- A transcript;
- An official class schedule specifying a student’s grade;
- A student ID stating a student’s grade.
Picking up Your M7 MBTA Pass
Some students have also received a S-Card from their school. If you are attending a school that has an S-Card, please bring it with you to pick up your M7 pass. We will ask that you turn in that pass when you receive your M7.