Hale Elementary School
Children are the heart and soul of the Nathan Hale School, a small community based school in the heart of historical Roxbury. Our school family is committed to effective teaching and best practices to prepare all students to achieve.
The Nathan Hale continues to work hard to maintain excellent yearly progress based on Mass Standards as well as 21st Century skills. All classrooms use Investigations for math instruction. Our Family Parent Council provides information about instructional programs and community resources. Urban Improv, Play Works Lunch Recess, Cooperative Discipline, Open Circle, parent involvement, high expectations, and Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective Leaders support the development of a respectful school climate.
- Small, safe community school
- State-of-the-art courtyard and award winning mural
- School band, ITEAMS, Technology Goes Home, and state of the art computer lab
- Community Service Learning projects and Junior Achievement programs
- High expectation for academics and behavior
- Annual Year Book
- Chosen by Boston Magazine as one of the “Best of Boston: Top 100 Schools” in 2005
- Students SMILE a lot: Safe environment for learning
- Committed to effective teaching and best practices
- National awards for staff and principal, National Bronze Award for Health, Wellness, and Nutrition
- Guaranteed assignment to the Timilty Middle School.
- Boston Ballet, Families First, Wakefield Estates, Boston Celtics and Patriots, Boston Nature Center, Boston Jewish Literacy Coalition, Boston Partners in Education, Junior Achievement, Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), Harvard School of Public Health, Healthy School Alliance, Northeastern University, UMass, Wheelock College, Omega Phi Psi, Boston Arboretum, ReadBoston, Discover Roxbury, Urban Improv, Bird Street Community Center, Urban League
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:15-8:00 am: BOKS, a fun physical activity program.
- After school, to 6:00 pm: Run by Bird Street Community Center. Instrumental music, chess, poetry, art, homework time. The principal enjoys clarinet lessons with the students. Sliding fee scale.
51 Cedar Street
Roxbury, MA 02119
2017-2018 School Year Hours
8:30 am - 3:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school:1:10 p.m.
School Type: Traditional