Excel High School
Excel High School is a mid-size college preparatory high school that fosters high academic achievement and creative expression in a safe and supportive learning environment. We believe diversity is our strength and everything we do is guided by our core values of Respect, Responsibility, Citizenship, and Grit.
Our teachers and staff are committed to the success and well-being of our students. They demonstrate their commitment and belief in our students by meeting them where they are and helping them achieve their full potential as scholars and leaders.
More than 50% of our teachers have two teaching licenses, one in their subject area and the other in either special education or English as a Second Language (ESL). As a result, they are able to meet students learning and language needs. What we are most proud of is the significant growth and achievement of our students. Last year, 100% of our seniors were accepted into a 2- or 4- year college or post secondary program. Collectively, they were awarded more than three million dollars in merit scholarships and grants. Two seniors received Vertex Science Leaders Scholarships from Vertex Pharmaceuticals to pursue studies at the University of Massachusetts.
We have many extracurricular programs including athletics, debate, buildOn, and National Honor Society. Our teachers and staff serve as advisers to these programs and spend countless hours helping our students develop into the talented leaders and problem solvers our society needs.
- A college preparatory high school that fosters high academic achievement and creative expression
- Courses and internships in STEM related fields
- 2015 BPS Citywide Science Fair winners: 1st Place/Individual, 3rd Place/Team, and Honorable Mention/Individual
- Honors and Advanced Placement courses in each core subject area
- Technology courses including Microsoft Office, web design, webmaster, and computer science
- Multiple computer labs, mobile labs that travel to classrooms, and iPads
- Internships at the Federal Reserve Bank and Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- After school opportunities: athletics, Boston Scholar Athlete Zone, Homework Club, MCAS prep, Debate League, buildOn, Environmental Club, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, Art Club
- Full time family and student engagement coordinator who coordinates student and parent leadership councils
- In-house Course Recovery Program, an opportunity for juniors and seniors to make up failed courses after school in order to graduate
- Science fair mentoring program with scientists from Vertex Pharmaceuticals
Strong school partners
- UMass Boston, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Boston Debate League, Boston Private Industry Council, and Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
95 G Street
South Boston, MA 02127
School Year Hours
7:25 am - 1:45 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 11:45 a.m.
School Type: Traditional