Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School
Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School, a Horace Mann, in-district charter, was founded in 2012 by Boston Plan for Excellence (BPE) in partnership with Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI).
Dudley Street School serves 325 students in grades PreK-5 and has a three-part mission:
- To provide a world-class education for all students, preparing them for long-term academic success and responsible civic engagement
- To prepare outstanding new teachers, through Boston Teacher Residency, to drive excellent student outcomes throughout Boston
- To serve as a partner in catalyzing improvement of all schools in the Dudley area
We aim to graduate resilient, hard-working students who are proficient readers, writers, problem solvers, and thinkers. We have organized our school to ensure each individual student reaches these goals. Every graduate of the Dudley Street School will be on a path to attend college and serve as a responsible citizen and contributing community member.
What makes our school special
- We are a BPE Teaching Academy in which residents from Boston Teacher Residency partner with experienced teachers to deliver ambitious instruction in each classroom
- Our school forms a PreK-12 neighborhood pathway with Dearborn STEM Academy, which moves to a brand new state-of-the-art STEM facility in 2018.
- A flexible and collaborative staffing model, led by two Directors of Instruction
- Grades 3, 4, and 5 employ a team teaching approach
- We have a dedicated Special Education and ESL teacher for each grade level team
- We make data-informed decisions around instruction, planning, and individualized learning plans
- Our school day features more time for teaching and learning through an extended school day
- We feature a K1-K2 loop with the same teachers for two years, so teachers get to know their students well
- We offer strong socio-emotional support through Responsive Classroom curriculum and school partner agencies
- We maintain strong partnerships with community organizations and other schools in the Dudley neighborhood
- BPE (Boston Plan for Excellence), DSNI (Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative), BTR (Boston Teacher Residency), DPC (Dudley Promise Corps), Family Services of Greater Boston, Project HOPE, Cradles to Crayons, Roxbury Children Services of Roxbury, The Home for Little Wanderers, The Food Project
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school: Free breakfast for all students from 8:15-8:45 a.m.
- After school, 3:15-4:30 p.m.: arts, wellness, thematic exploration and tutoring as part of our extended school day for all students at no extra charge.
Head Staff Assistant
Amelia Lopes Ford
6 Shirley St., Roxbury
Boston, MA 02119
617-635-6320School Hours8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:30 p.m.Grades: K1-5
School Type: In-District Charter School