Dever Elementary School
Paul A. Dever Elementary School is currently in its fourth year of Level 5 turnaround under the management of Dr. Tommy Chang to support the implementation of five core research-based strategies for school improvement:
- Ensuring every student has an excellent teacher and a school leader committed to their success;
- Setting clear, consistent standards for academic achievement and establishing a school-wide focus on preparing all students for college;
- Increasing instructional time;
- Providing daily, small group tutoring and intervention to students using highly qualified and well-trained instructors; and
- Collecting assessment data frequently to monitor each student’s academic progress and tailor instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
The Dever will work to ensure these five core strategies are implemented faithfully, consistently and with high quality at Dever in order to provide and excellent education to all students who attend.
The Dever serves families from diverse cultural, economic, and linguistic backgrounds. We believe all students deserve access to a world-class education that will allow them to excel in college, careers, and beyond. As part of our turnaround efforts, the Dever team is creating a safe, collaborative atmosphere where students, staff, parents, and the community are respected, appreciated, encouraged, and supported. We have a talented team of teachers and leaders who are committed to providing individualized supports to meet the diverse learning needs of our students. We maintain a culture of high expectations for academic excellence, and we aim to see all students reach their full potential.
What makes our school special
- Dever Elementary has an extended school day, serving students from 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
- Universal free breakfast, lunch, and snack program
- 1:1 Student-to- Chromebook access
- Welcoming bilingual environment
- Spanish language program provides the opportunity for content-rich Spanish language development for students
- Therapeutic Learning Community provides 40 students with social-emotional support
- Arts integration
- State of the art piano lab
- Newly opened library
- Speciality ares include: technology, physical education, music, piano lab, Spanish, and visual arts
- 14 plus languages spoken at the Dever
- Full-time nursing services
- Full-time family community specialist - CityConnects
- 2 instructional deans to coach teachers
- Partnership with Dorchester’s Boys and Girls Club for after-school program
- Strong community connections with Harbor Point Development
- Community partnerships
- Guaranteed assignment to the McCormack Middle School.
Special academic programs
- Special education staff serves students in each grade
Achievement Network, Big Sister Association of Greater Boston, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Philharmonic, Boys & Girls Club of Boston, City Connects, Cradles to Crayons, The Home for Little Wanderers, Playworks, Smart Smiles, Wediko Children’s Services, Boston Ballet, Catie's Closet, EV Kids, Trinity Foundation
Before and after school programs in our building
- Extended school day for all students from 7:30 to 3:30.
325 Mt. Vernon Street
Dorchester, MA 02125
2017-2018 School Hours
7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:30 p.m.
School Type: Traditional