Curley K-8 School
Our collective school focus is around building a culture of caring. We have three common expectations that all staff and students learn about and live by: We Care about Ourselves, We Care About Each Other, We Care About Our School. We believe that through teamwork, data usage, engaging teaching practices, and community supports, our students achieve academic and social success. We are a school community where we take responsibility for ourselves and each other. Within this community, we support each other's learning; learning that extends beyond school to our lives, that supports the healthy growth of our minds, bodies, and spirits, and above all that is centered on the expectation of academic excellence. All curricular issues are discussed with a strong emphasis on student achievement.
We offer reading intervention programs such as Reading Recovery and Wilson to strengthen literacy skills. Our Kindergarten I program provides the Opening the World to Learning (OWL) and Building Blocks curriculum, and we are piloting the new Experiential Learning curriculum in K-5. Our kindergarten program is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Whole School Whole Child Focus
- Open Circle social-emotional learning curriculum in K-grade 5
- Tenacity tennis and reading for grades 6-8
- Accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Dance, theater arts, visual arts, music
- Basketball, track, soccer, volleyball, tennis, and baseball teams
- Two gymnasiums, 1 cafeteria, and 1 auditorium
- Guaranteed assignment for students from the Curley Lower School
Special academic programs
- Literacy Collaborative, K-2
- Excellence for All
- Autism program (PACE), K-8
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for English learners, K-8
- Social and Academic Remediation (SAR), grades 2-8
City Year, Boston Public Library - Connolly Branch, Spontaneous Celebrations/Beantown Society, The Home for Little Wanderers, Thompson Island Outdoor Education, Lesley University, Tenacity, BalletRox, Bok - Reebox
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school program begins at 7 a.m.
- After school: full-service program serving 300 students in K1-grade 5, 2:30-6:00 p.m. M-F. Includes four 45-minute blocks. Academic support through homework help and one-on-one tutoring, and enrichment activities. Fees are on a sliding scale
40 Pershing Road (K0-3)
493 Centre St. (4-8)
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
8:30 a.m.-3:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:40 p.m.
School Type: Traditional