Condon, James F. K-8 School
The Condon K-8 School is an innovative school serving students who reflect the rich diversity of Boston. Our mission is to help all students acquire the skills, knowledge, and habits they need to reach proficiency and to succeed in high school, college, and a life of active citizenship in the neighborhoods of Boston and beyond.
We aim to achieve this mission through rigorous academic programs which are differentiated for a range of learners, a comprehensive approach to the social-emotional needs of children, and enriching opportunities to engage in music, art, dance and swim.
Our teachers work collaboratively to plan and deliver effective instruction that is reflective of assessment data, the Common Core Standards, and divergent student needs. An updated outdoor classroom, playground, before and after school programs and a bullying prevention program are just some of the offerings that enhance a safe and welcoming environment for all students and families.
We also work closely with partners to like Edvestors, City Year, The Achievement Network, Vertex, Reebok, Museum of Fine Arts, Cabot Corporation, Read to a Child, Harvard Civics Program, Boston Cares, and Cabot Corporation.
We will also be expanding to include grade 7 in September 2016 and grade 8 in September 2017.
What makes our school special
- Specialty classes including STEM (Robotics and Coding), Swim, Dance, Music, Art, and Science.
- Full-sized gym and pool. Swim lessons starting in Grade 2.
- Onsite Community Center operated by the Boston Centers for Youth and Families.
- Large outdoor classroom, two play structures, a basketball court, and a large baseball field.
- Support Staff: Two full-time nurses, school psychologist, Inclusion Specialist, director of student support, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and on-site counseling services
- Doing the Right Thing Award Assemblies: longstanding anti-bullying program. Each month one student in each homeroom is recognized for exhibiting one of our character attributes. Students engage in specific activities to deepen their understanding of the consequences of bullying
Special academic programs
- Advanced Work Class for eligible students in grades 4, 5 and 6
- Early childhood center-based: two classrooms for K0/K1 who have been identified for special education services. Each classroom has 9 students, 1 teacher, and 1 paraprofessional.
- Inclusion Classrooms: integrate students with disabilities into the general education classroom. These classrooms have fewer students (ranging from 15 in K1 to 20 students in Grades K2-3) and are supported by a full-time paraprofessional. In 2017-2018, we anticipate having Inclusion classrooms from Grades K1-4.
- Severe Special Education: three classrooms which serve students with significant cognitive and medical needs. These classrooms each have 6 students, 1 teacher, and 2 paraprofessionals.
- Specific Learning Disabilities Classrooms: Specific Learning Disabilities strand for Grades 5-8
- Multilingual Sheltered English Immersion: In grades K2-8
- City Year, South Boston Boys and Girls Club, The Achievement Network, the Paraclete Center, Boston Children’s Theater and Disney, Very Special Arts, BOKS, Jewish Coalition for Literacy Book Pals, LaBoure Center, Power Lunch Mentoring Program, Sparks Program, Harvard University Civics Program, Global Classroom, Community Rowing
After school programs in our building
- Condon Club, Grades 1-6, M-F, 2:30-6pm,
- Condon Community Center After School Program, M-F,
- The South Boston Boys and Girls Club, Grades 1-8, M-F, 2:30-7:45 pm,
- Paraclete Center, Grades 4-8, M-Th 2:30-8pm, Fri 2:30-6pm,
- South Boston Neighborhood House (Ollie), Ages 5-12, M-F, 2:15-5:45 pm,
- Laboure Center, Grades 4-8, M-Th, 2:30-4:45 pm,
- South Boston After School (Phillips Brooks House), Grades 1-2, M-Th 2:30-4:45 pm
Contact the Condon
Assistant Principals/HeadmastersJonna Casey
200 D Street
South Boston, MA 02127
United StatesPhone617-635-8608Fax617-635-86112017-2018 School Hours8:30 a.m. - 3:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:10 p.m.
School Type: Regular