A small alternative high school in Jamaica Plain, we serve students who have not thrived in traditional settings. Our student-teacher ratio of 15 students per teacher allows all students personal academic and social support. The small size creates a strong sense of community and allows parents to be active in their children's education. Emphasis is on academic excellence, as reflected in rising MCAS scores, time dedicated to individual tutoring, and the variety of college prep courses offered. We support non-traditional students by offering a credit recovery, online program.
- A small, alternative high school that serves students who do not thrive in a traditional classroom setting
- Special admissions process: Students must either be assigned through the Alternative Education Department or get special approval from the headmaster to apply
- Very small classes—often 14 students or less
- Before and after school tutoring
- Individual advisors for each student
- College counseling
- College and MCAS prep classes
- A focus on hands-on learning
- Regular field trips, including to local colleges and college fairs
- School Community Consultation and Treatment (SCCAT), Harvard University, Bottom Line, City Year, Diploma Plus, Roxbury Community College, South End Community Health Center, TERI Financial Aid, and UMass Dartmouth.
Contact the Community Academy
25 Glen Road
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
2017-2018 School Hours
8:00 a.m. - 2:20 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:20 p.m.
School Type: Regular