Charlestown High School
Charlestown High School (CHS) is located in a historic Boston neighborhood and has been serving the students of Boston since 1845. We are a large school that provides small-school support through our Small Learning Community (SLC) model. The SLC model organizes students into smaller cohorts so every student receives the guidance and support his or her needs.
We are proud of the diversity of our school, which includes strong general education programs, programs for English Learners, our Diploma Plus program for over-aged and under-credited students, and our strong programs for students with disabilities. CHS is a place where all students can succeed.
We have A.P. Courses and interesting electives, including Dance, Theater, Arabic and Forensic Science. Our A.P. Courses prepare students for college by providing a supportive work environment with a rigorous curriculum. For instance, in Ms. Piacitelli's A.P. European History Class, students study all the minuscule and monumental events that have shaped Europe and the world throughout history.
Our guidance counselors lead our "Focus on College" approach; this means that all students are engaged with the college application process. As early as freshmen year, CHS students visit different colleges and universities around New England. On these visits, students learn about the importance of establishing consistent G.P.A.s, the need for extracurricular activities, and the best ways to create a well-rounded student profile.
Along with our school day academic focus, our after-school programs offer students the opportunity to engage in fun activities while exploring peer leadership, on-the-job training, and scholastic enrichment. At CHS, we have a wide range of interscholastic sports, including basketball, football, track, swimming, soccer, volleyball and swimming. We also have clubs, such as EuroTrip and Debate League, that allow students to pursue their own interests in a positive, team-building environment.
We are proud of our school community. Every student is supported along the pathway to success.
- A strong teaching staff with a special commitment to working with a diverse population of students and supporting students for success in rigorous academic work
- C-Town Business, a new career pathway open to incoming 9th graders that readies students for college and careers in business through real-world and on-the-job learning; offers college credit and project-based learning, where students start their businesses and design, produce, and market their own products
- BUILD entrepreneurship program with Bunker Hill Community College
- C-Town Tech, a new information technology career pathway that prepares students for 21st-century careers; a 6-year program for grades 9-12 plus community college
- Small learning communities that create a small-school atmosphere with large-school opportunities
- Electives focused around the visual and performing arts, including band, chorus, dance, and visual arts
- A 9th and 10th grade focus on success in the MCAS and SAT preparation programs for the 11th and 12th grades
- Strong college partnerships, a focus on preparation for higher education, and a strong record of acceptance at four-year colleges and universities
- 19 interscholastic athletic teams supported by the Boston Scholar-Athlete Zone for study halls and student support
- Advanced Placement courses and exciting electives like Arabic, engineering, and forensic science
- Diploma Plus program for over-age and under-credited students so they can graduate on time and find postsecondary success
- Boston University’s Math Upward Bound, a rigorous college preparatory program
- Liberty Mutual Math Excellence program offers college scholarships to students in grades 9 to 12
- Many after school programs, clubs, and special activities: everything from bowling to Eurotrip!
After school programs
- Strong athletic department that includes volleyball, softball, baseball, and other sports, and features our state championship basketball team; support for student-athletes through The Zone and after-school study halls; Boston Debate League, Bowling Club, Math Club, Eurotrip, JROTC Drill Team, Dream Far Marathon Team, Theater Club, Dance Club, many other extracurricular activities
Head of School
240 Medford Street
Charlestown, MA 02129
7:30 a.m. - 1:50 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 11:20 a.m.
School Type: Traditional