Channing Elementary School
The Channing School's Mission is to create an environment that values the whole child. We believe that in order to develop the whole child, high expectations, core values, progressive curriculum, strong leadership, creative teaching, and appropriate assessment must occur. We encourage supportive parent and community involvement. Excellence is the only option.
Under our inclusion model, students in need of additional assistance receive necessary academic support. Professionals work in the classrooms to meet the academic and behavioral needs of our students. Teams meet on a weekly basis to plan standards-based lessons and review progress.
What makes our school special
- Computer program
- Lexia Reading for school and home access
- Reading Specialist
- Physical education program
- Highly qualified teachers
- Highly active school site council and parent council
- ESL teachers for English language learners
Special academic programs
- Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grade 4 and 5
- Japanese language instruction
- Special education program E4 for K0 and K1
- Achieved “Above Target” in narrowing the achievement gap in math State Assessment for students identified as economically disadvantaged
- A waiting list for K1 and K2 students for our highly popular early childhood programs
- Teaching and administrative staff that come from diverse cultures and speak multiple languages
- Full classroom libraries as well as take-home books that represent current and positive contributions of people throughout the world
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school program, 5 days per week; fee
- After school services, 5 days per week, through the Hyde Park YMCA offering academic tutoring, recreational, and enrichment activities; fee.
35 Sunnyside Street
Hyde Park, MA 02136
2017-2018 School Hours
8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:30 p.m.
School Type: Regular