The Carter School
Our students exhibit severe/profound cognitive delay, physical handicaps, and complex medical conditions, require total personal care. We implement a Transdisciplinary Model. Teachers/therapists work on learning objectives together. Our school community is representative of many races and cultures. Our Outdoor Classroom Sensory Healing Garden adds to learning space, providing access to green activities and outdoor physical movement.
- Individualized, intensive special education program with a 5:3 student-to-staff ratio
- Bilingual social worker and family liaison
- Two full-time nurses
- Transdisciplinary team approach
- Available therapies: physical therapy, occupational therapy, communication, behavior, vision, and adaptive physical education
- Aquatic therapy at Mass. Hospital School
- Creative arts therapy
- Outdoor learning and recreation in our beautiful Sensory Garden, with wheelchair-accessible pathways and water features
- Community experiences: Symphony, prom, Holiday Stroll
- Motorized ceiling lifts, PT equipment
- Centrally located behind Northeastern University at the Mass. Ave. Orange Line station
- School partners: Boston College and Northeastern (Nursing, P.T.), Boston Architectural College, Berklee College of Music, Anderson Miller Design, Cannon Design, Structure Tone and Gilbane Construction Company, Friends of the William E. Carter School, David Berarducci Landscape Architect, Whittier Street Health Center
396 Northampton Street
Boston, MA 02118
9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:00 p.m.
School Type: Non-Traditional/Specialized