Health Education Resources:
Lessons on substance use prevention are a critical part of the scope and sequence of comprehensive health education for all grades. Below are some examples of district-approved curriculum lessons that address vaping:
- CATCH My Breath (Grades 5-12)
- HealthSmart: Vaping and Tobacco (Middle School)
- Stanford Tobacco Prevention Toolkit: E-Cigarettes & Vape Pens (High School)
The BPS Health & Wellness Department has tobacco prevention lessons for all grades K-12. For more information, please reach out to the Health Education Director, Cheryl Todisco
District Policy Regarding Vaping
The BPS Tobacco-Free Environment Policy (HWD-06) was created in 2012 and prohibits electronic vapor products or e-cigarettes on all school properties. Students of BPS shall not possess, use, consume, display, distribute, or sell any tobacco products (including all vaping products) at any time on school property, at off-campus, school-sponsored events and extra-curricular activities, within vehicles located on school property, and within 50 feet of school property. Similar restrictions apply to the use, consumption, display, distribution, or sale of any tobacco products (including all vaping products) by BPS staff and visitors. See the policy for more details.
Our current Drug & Alcohol Abuse Policy (SHS-01) and the Code of Conduct also prohibit the use of marijuana, including vaping, on school property.
For more information about supports for students found in violation of these policies, visit the Succeed Boston website for information about their short-term program, long-term middle school program, and 1-day education workshops.
The HWD-06 and SHS-01 policy language will be updated in SY19-20 to provide more clarity and improve the implementation guidelines, however, the substance of the policy will not change. The who, when, where, and what of the policy should remain consistent. For more information, please contact Maryka Lier
MA Department of Public Health Resources:
Oder free resources from the MA DPH website
Smoking & Vaping Cessation Resources:
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) provides residents with 8 weeks of free nicotine replacement therapy patches who receive tobacco treatment counseling.
- This is Quitting powered by truth® is a free and confidential texting program for young people who vape. Young people can text "VapeFreeMass" to 88709 to get started. In partnership with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
- Visit teen.smokefree.gov for tools and tips.
- For more information, young people can visit mass.gov/vaping.
- More information for parents/adults is available at GetOutraged.org
- Boston Tobacco Treatment Resources
- Pathway to Freedom: Tobacco-Free Living Program
- Informational flyer about MassHealth Cessation Coverage