Boston Teachers Union School
The Boston Teachers Union School (known as the BTU School)seeks to educate students to high standards and help them reach their educational potential and become capable, caring, engaged citizens. We aim to provide all students with a rigorous and wide-ranging liberal arts education in an inclusive, democratic, nurturing and safe environment that welcomes families and capitalizes on the expertise of excellent teachers. We are a teacher-run school; two teacher-leaders and the faculty work together to make important decisions regarding the school.
The BTU School is unique in its emphasis on involving the whole family, providing educational opportunities and other social and related services for students and their family members. The school has a longer school day and involves outside agencies with a long-term goal of providing more services, including health and social services In addition to a rigorous academic program, the school currently offers music, art and Spanish as a world language to every scholar. Ongoing student assessment, intervention and academic support ensure achievement for each and every scholar.
What makes our school special
- A teacher-run K-8 pilot school: two teacher-leaders and the faculty work together to make important decisions regarding the school
- A longer school day
- Rigorous liberal arts education
- Focus on positive school climate
- Commitment to involving families
- Ongoing assessment, intervention, and support
- Art, music and physical education for all students
- Two substantially separate classrooms providing services for Special Education scholars
- Social-emotional learning programs, including Open Circle, Second Step, and a partnership with Urban Improv
- Two full-time clinicians from Family Services of Greater Boston on site to provide individual and small group counseling service
Special academic programs
- Boston Debate League
- Arnold Arboretum, Literacy Collaborative, Hyde Park YMCA, Playworks, New England Home for Little Wanderers, Family Services of Greater Boston, Simmons College, America SCORES Boston soccer, Eliot School of Art, Apprentice Learning, Urban Improvrov
Before and after school programs in our building
- After school program run by the Hyde Park YMCA for K1-grade 6. Fee for service; sliding scale for those who qualify. Other after school activities include Eliot Art classes, Boston Arts Program, yoga, gymnastics, dance, soccer, basketball, debating, Strong Women, Strong Girls Group, self-defense, ISEE prep, and tutoring.
Amy Phi Nguyen (Interim)
25 Walk Hill Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:30 p.m.
School Type: Pilot