Boston Green Academy
Founded in 2011, Boston Green Academy’s mission is to prepare all students—especially those who struggle—for success in college or the 21st century “green economy.” As a Horace Mann in-district charter school, Boston Green Academy (BGA) has increased autonomy and accountability to increase student achievement during its five-year charter. BGA enrolls students in grades 6-7 and 9-12, adding grade 8 in September 2016.BGA offers an innovative curriculum, excellent supports for students with disabilities, a strong advisory and student support program, and partnerships with museums, colleges and businesses throughout the city. Our excellent college and career counseling is offered as a class for all juniors and seniors, while all students participate in three electives per semester in our support and enrichment program and a weekly assembly with guest speakers and programs.
What makes our school special:
- A Horace Mann Charter School, part of the Boston Public Schools, while also having the freedom and accountability for results that Commonwealth Charter Schools enjoy
- Preparation for all students – especially those who have struggled – to be leaders in environmental stewardship and activism, to live their lives responsibly and sustainably, and to be prepared to succeed in the growing “green” economy
- “Green” theme woven through all courses
- Science courses including physics, biology, chemistry and ap environmental science, as well as internships and projects
- Humanities courses that combine literacy and social studies
- Support course in literacy and math for 9th graders who need extra help
- Spanish as a world language required in grades 9-10
- Arts, sports, and entrepreneurship
- After school tutoring, clubs, SAT preparation, student government, sports and internships
Special admission process:
- Enrollment by lottery; all students living in Boston eligible to apply
- More information and application forms: www.bostongreenacademy.org
Special academic programs:
- Advanced Placement (AP) and honors courses in high school
Boston Scholar Athletes, Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentor 2.0, Boston University, Tutors for All, UAspire, Harvard MedScience, Facing History and Ourselves, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Food Corps, Boston Cares, Private Industry Council
After school programs:
- Tutoring, SAT prep and college application support, exciting clubs, activities and student government, sports, and academic support for student-athletes; internships throughout Boston with our many partners
20 Warren St.
Brighton, MA 02135
8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri.
8:00 a.m.- Noon Wednesday
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:30 p.m.
School Type: Horace Mann (In-District) Charter School