Boston Special Education Parent Advisory Council
The Boston Special Education Parent Advisory Council [Boston SpEdPAC] is the independent districtwide parent advisory council of families with students on IEPs and other interested parties. The parent advisory council duties include but are not be limited to:
- Advising the district on matters that pertain to the education and safety of students with disabilities
Meeting regularly with school officials to participate in the planning, development, and evaluation of the school district’s specialized services programs
Establish by-laws regarding officers and operational procedures
Provide information and support to members through direct communication and outreach, and monthly meetings
Boston SpEdPAC believes that informed and engaged families can best advocate for their children to ensure that their education and social needs are met in the least restrictive environment. The organization holds monthly general meetings to discuss important topics and offer training sessions through our network of experienced professionals.
The purpose of SpEdPAC is to provide a voice and give support to families of children with special needs. We are a multi-lingual, multi-cultural, council made up exclusively of parent volunteers. We work actively with the Boston Public Schools system to ensure that children get the services and support they need to develop to their full potential. All families are welcome and encouraged to participate.
2023-2024 Executive Board Officers & Members at Large
Executive Board Officers
Jack Sinnott, Chair
Kelsey Brendel, Vice-Chair
Veronica Beltre, Secretary
Andrea Palomo Barringer, Treasurer
Board Members At Large:
- Kim Emery
- Rebecca (Beebs) Everett
- Lisa Jeanne Graf
- Sarah Harold
- Bethany Moffi
- Jessica Prou
- Megen Valentin West
Alternate Board Members At Large:
- Latiaya Grooms
- Charlie Kim
- Bessie Maher
General Meeting Calendar
Boston SpEdPAC provides a voice and supports families of students with disabilities in Boston Public Schools. All families are encouraged to participate.
General meetings typically occur every 4th Thursday of the month with exceptions noted.
- Individualized Education Plans (IEP) & 504 Plans | Thursday, September 28, 2023 from 7-8:30 pm
- Transportation | Thursday, October 26, 2023 from 7-8:30 pm
- Resource Fair | Thursday, November 16, 2023* from 5-7 pm
- Family Social | Saturday, December 16, 2023* from 1:30-4:00 pm
- Family/Guardian Rights in Special Education | Thursday, January 25, 2024 from 7-8:30 pm
- Educational Settings, Inclusion & Sub-Separate Classrooms | Thursday, February 29, 2024* from 7-8:30 pm
- Support Services for Students with Autism | Thursday, March 28, 2024 from 7-8:30 pm
- Summer Learning for Students with a Disability | Thursday, April 25, 2024 from 7-8:30 pm
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) | Thursday, May 23, 2024 from 7-8:30 pm
To view the Boston SpEdPAC calendar click here.
Kay Seale, Chief of Specialized Services2300 Washington Street, Boston MA 02119(617) 635-8873 (BPS Helpline)Boston Special Education Parent Advisory Councilemail@bostonspedpac.org(617) 297-7335