2020 5th Quarter Portfolio
The Boston Public Schools (BPS) 5th Quarter Portfolio, a division of the Opportunity Portfolio, is a key strategy for identifying and increasing equitable access to quality summer learning opportunities. 5th Quarter Portfolio programs will: 1) stem summer learning loss and increase academic achievement; 2) develop student socio-emotional skills and increase student efficacy by building skills and competencies; 3) strengthen the effectiveness of school-community partnerships; and 4) promote student health and wellness.
5th Quarter Portfolio programs must fit the below criteria:
- Proposed programs must serve BPS students in an integrated academic and enrichment program model that will: 1) stem summer learning loss and increase academic achievement; 2) develop student socio-emotional skills and increase student efficacy by building skills and competencies; 3) strengthen the effectiveness of school-community partnerships; and 4) promote student health and wellness.
- Proposed learning opportunities must be ongoing, direct services to BPS students and take place during the summer (Late June — August).
- Proposer must be a BPS School and/or have experience providing the proposed program or a similar program model within BPS and/or a similar urban public school district.
- Proposer must offer academic programming in alignment with the below guidelines:
- Curricular content in core subject areas, including ELA and math, that is aligned with BPS Academic Standards and grade-level Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks, or relevant college-level standards as appropriate.
- Program must span a minimum of 20 days, offering a minimum of 80 total program hours.
- Program must maintain a minimum adult-student ratio at all times during programming:
- PreK-K – 1:11
- Gr. 1-8 – 1:15
- Gr. 9-12 – 1:25
- To understand the impact of 5th Quarter programs on students and to inform future program improvement, 5th Quarter programs are expected to utilize common evaluation tools to measure academic and social-emotional outcomes and program quality. This common approach to measurement is part of a citywide measurement community devoted to delivering high quality learning experiences.
Applicants who fit the above criteria, may apply for specified funding in the categories listed below*:
- Summer Learning Academy
- Summer Learning Academy – English Learners
- Grade 6-12 Credit Recovery
*You may apply for funding in more than one category.
Please view descriptions of the 5th Quarter Portfolio funding categories here.
BENEFITS OF BECOMING A PORTFOLIO PARTNER
Portfolio Partners will receive a variety of supports intended to increase access to their Portfolio Programs. Portfolio Partners may receive the following supports:
- Eligibility for BPS Summer Learning Academy funding
- Usage of BPS facilities
- Increased access to data and measurement tools that support programmatic outcomes
- Access to BPS curriculum resources
- Promotion of program to schools, students, and families
- Brokering of partnerships between schools and community-based organizations
- Technical assistance and professional development
Step One: Intent to Apply
To indicate an intent to apply, the applicant must do the following by November 1, 2019:
- Complete PartnerBPS organization and program registration.
- Please Note: BPS Schools’ Organization is listed under “Summer-[School Name]”
- For help registering, there is a step-by-step user guide book for PartnerBPS found at: https://partnerbps.org/help-school-community-partners/ .
- Complete the Intent to Apply form
Upon submission, BPS will review the applicant’s Intent to Apply to determine if the applicant meets the minimum qualifications, included in the service category descriptions.
Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications, as detailed in the service category description, will be invited to complete Step Two of the application process. Applicants that do not meet the minimum qualifications will not be invited to complete Step Two. Notification will be sent out regarding Step One application status by November 15, 2019.
Step Two: Written Application
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications of Step One will be invited to complete Step Two of the application process. Step Two will require applicants to complete the written application, including funding request (if applicable) on PartnerBPS.org by December 13, 2019.
After applications are submitted on December 13, the application will go through a vetting and assessment process to determine if applicants are accepted into the 5th Quarter Portfolio. Applicants will be notified of their application status by February 1, 2020.
5th QUARTER PORTFOLIO APPLICATION TIMELINE
October 4th: Release of 5th Quarter Intent to Apply
October 15th & 18th: Application Support Sessions
- October 15th, 4:30-6:00pm at Bruce C. Bolling Building, Rm 2-12 A/B (2nd Floor)
- October 18th, 12:00-1:00pm at Bruce C. Bolling Building, School Committee Chambers
November 1st: Deadline to complete Intent to Apply
November 15th: Notification of application status and eligible applicants receive written application
December 13th: Deadline to complete written 5th Quarter Application
February 1st: The 5th Quarter Portfolio & funded Summer Learning Academies selected and announced
Please submit all related questions via email to email@example.com.