2021 5th Quarter Portfolio
The Boston Public Schools (BPS) 5th Quarter Portfolio, a division of the Opportunity Portfolio, is a key strategy for identifying and increasing equitable access to quality summer learning opportunities. 5th Quarter Portfolio programs will: 1) stem summer learning loss and increase academic achievement; 2) develop student socio-emotional skills and increase student efficacy by building skills and competencies; 3) strengthen the effectiveness of school-community partnerships; and 4) promote student health and wellness.
5th Quarter Portfolio programs must fit the below criteria:
- Proposed programs must serve BPS students in an integrated academic and enrichment program model that will: 1) stem summer learning loss and increase academic achievement; 2) develop student socio-emotional skills and increase student efficacy by building skills and competencies; 3) strengthen the effectiveness of school-community partnerships; and 4) promote student health and wellness.
- Proposed learning opportunities must be ongoing, direct services to BPS students, and take place during the summer (Late June — August).
- The proposer must be a BPS School and/or have experience providing the proposed program or a similar program model within BPS and/or a similar urban public school district.
- The proposer must offer academic programming in alignment with the below guidelines:
- Curricular content in core subject areas, including ELA and math, that is aligned with BPS Academic Standards and grade-level Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks, or relevant college-level standards as appropriate.
- The program must span a minimum of 20 days, offering a minimum of 80 total program hours.
- The program must maintain a minimum adult-student ratio at all times during programming:
- PreK-K – 1:11
- Gr. 1-8 – 1:15
- Gr. 9-12 – 1:25
- To understand the impact of 5th Quarter programs on students and to inform future program improvement, 5th Quarter programs are expected to utilize common evaluation tools to measure academic and social-emotional outcomes and program quality. This common approach to measurement is part of a citywide measurement community devoted to delivering high-quality learning experiences.
Applicants who fit the above criteria may apply for specified funding in the categories listed below if they meet the funding category qualifications here:
- Summer Learning Academy
- English Learner Summer Learning Academy
- High School Credit Recovery
BENEFITS OF BECOMING A PORTFOLIO PARTNER
Portfolio Partners will receive a variety of supports intended to increase access to their Portfolio Programs. Portfolio Partners may receive the following supports:
- Eligibility for BPS Summer Learning Academy funding
- Usage of BPS facilities
- Increased access to data and measurement tools that support programmatic outcomes
- Access to BPS curriculum resources
- Promotion of program to schools, students, and families
- Brokering of partnerships between schools and community-based organizations
- Technical assistance and professional development
Step One: Complete or Update your PartnerBPS profile with your 2021 profile
Before beginning the 5th Quarter Portfolio 2021 Application, you must complete or update your PartnerBPS profile with information that reflects your 2021 summer program. This information will be used to communicate your program details to families and schools.
Please follow these steps on PartnerBPS to update your Program Profile, including summer 2021 start and end dates:
- Log in to PartnerBPS.org with your username and password
- Once logged in, scroll over "Manage Programs" at the top of the dashboard
- Click "Manage My Programs"
- Navigate to the appropriate program and click "Edit Program"
- Make necessary updates to your Profile and click "Submit"
If this is your first time applying for the 5th Quarter Portfolio, please complete the PartnerBPS organization and program registration.
- Please Note: BPS Schools’ Organization is listed under “Summer-[School Name]”
- For help registering, there is a step-by-step user guide book for PartnerBPS found at https://partnerbps.org/help-school-community-partners/
Step Two: Written Application
All applicants who have updated their PartnerBPS profile and meet the minimum qualifications may complete the written application and apply to be part of the 5th Quarter Portfolio (unfunded). Applicants that meet eligibility requirements may apply for specified funding in the following service categories based on their service population: Summer Learning Academy, EL Summer Learning Academy, or High School Credit Recovery. Please carefully review the service category requirements before beginning an application for funding.
Applicants who applied in 2020 will receive a link via email to their application, pre-filled with prior year organization and program information. New applicants can request an application by emailing email@example.com.
Applications will be sent out in mid-November. All applications must be completed by 5 pm on December 18, 2020.
After applications are submitted on December 11, the applications will go through a vetting and assessment process to determine if applicants are accepted into the 5th Quarter Portfolio. Applicants will be notified of their application status by February 12, 2021.
- Mid-November: Release of 5th Quarter Application
- Mid- to Late-November: Scheduled Information Sessions
- December 18: Deadline to complete written 5th Quarter Application
- December-January: 5th Quarter Portfolio Reviewers will score applications and reach out with any questions or concerns regarding your application.
- February 12: The 5th Quarter Portfolio & funded Summer Learning Academies selected and announced
Please submit all related questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.