Our Mission & Vision
The mission of Boston Public Schools is to give all students (Grades 6-12) the opportunity to participate in an innovative athletics program that explicitly develops the social-emotional and physical well-being of all athletes. The curriculum for this program is student-centric, culturally responsive, and emphasizes the positive nature of competition.
The Boston Public Schools offers a broad spectrum of sports in a fun, safe, and welcoming learning environment that equips students with skills that are necessary for success in college, career, and life.
- develop decision-making and problem-solving skills;
- share ownership of their team and its inherent responsibilities;
- understand the benefits and responsibilities of competition;
- learn and apply performance-based sciences that will assist them in overcoming physical, social, and emotional obstacles in their lives.
- give their players an age-appropriate and significant voice on the team;
- be mission-driven and values-led;
- model respectful listening, empathy, and cultural and linguistic responsiveness;
- maintain an enthusiastic, constructive approach to developing skills;
- develop a fun environment that fosters personal growth and treats failure as a learning experience.
Athletic teams will:
- become role models for safe and welcoming school environments;
- promote ethical problem-solving;
- model the power of full engagement;
- achieve by setting challenging, realistic goals;
- practice regulating emotions under difficult circumstances;
- demonstrate respect for their teammates, coaches, opponents, officials, and communities.
Boston Public Schools Office of Social-Emotional Learning and Wellness will:
- resource the Athletic Department’s mission;
- develop curriculum;
- train, mentor, and support coaching staff;
- work with parents to promote the mission;
- demonstrate their commitment, support, and interest in this initiative to coaches, students, and parents;
- develop an evaluation tool that supports coaches in meeting this new mission;
- value the voice of coach and athlete-students in this process.
Athletics Main OfficeWhite Stadium450 Walnut AveJamaica Plain, MA 02130(617) 635-8143