The Boston School Committee created the English Language Learners (ELL) Task Force in 2009 to provide guidance to the School Committee, the Superintendent, and BPS on the vision and development of a plan of action that responds to the new demographics of the BPS for students whose home language is not English and to identify mechanisms to address the needs of our increasingly multicultural and multilingual district and its students.
The ELL Task Force presented its recommendations to the School Committee in March 2011. The School Committee endorsed the recommendations in June 2011 and has annually reauthorized the ELL Task Force to serve as a monitoring body for the district.
The recommendations included these seven priority goals:
- Recognize and Promote BPS as a Multilingual, Multicultural District
- Improve Student Assessment and Assignment
- Expand Program Quality and Quantity
- Improve Family/Community Engagement
- Support ELL Students with Special Needs
- Improve Data Systems and Use of Technology
- Ensure Accountability and Monitoring
ELL Task Force Membership Roster SY 2021-22
Coordinator: Jen Douglas
ELL Task Force meetings are held at the Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building, 2300 Washington Street, Roxbury, MA 02119.*
*Update: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings are currently being held remotely on Zoom.
Click here to view the meeting archive.
Learn more about the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC) here.