Interpretation Request Guidelines
- Interpretation requests should be submitted a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the date of service.
- Interpretation services are available for both General Education and Special Education events, including but not limited to: parent-teacher meetings, student conferences, screenings, Individualized Education Plan (IEP) & 504 meetings, school enrollment, dissemination of information specific to school activities and programs, etc.
- ASL interpretation requests should be submitted as early as possible (3 to 4 weeks prior) for the best chances of securing services.
- In emergency instances (e.g., medical emergencies, criminal activities, etc.) ASL interpretation services can be requested via MCDHH with less than 24 to 48-hour notice, but the fulfillment of said request is not guaranteed.
- Special Education meetings (i.e., IEP & evaluations) should be requested at the earliest in order to secure services.
- To eliminate the number of interpretation cancellations or no-shows, we ask you to do the following:
- Confirm parent attendance two days before the scheduled event.
- If a parent is not attending, promptly inform the agency and the Translation and Interpretation Unit (email@example.com) of the cancellation. Cancellation confirmations need to be confirmed 24 hours before the date/time of service in order to not be charged. For additional guidance, please see The Guidelines: Securing ASL Interpreters.
Cancelling Interpretation Requests
If after securing an interpreter you need to cancel the service, please email the agency/vendor in question as soon as possible, CCing firstname.lastname@example.org. When cancelling please provide the below listed information:
- Request Submittal Number
- Requester Name
- Requester Telephone Number
- School or Department
- Date and time of interpretation appointment
- Language(s) requested
If you have your confirmation, you can also send that with a request to cancel to the appropriate agency.
LINK TO FULL POLICY LINK >>>>>>>> TRANSLATION & INTERPRETATION SERVICES POLICY MEMORANDUM