Boston Public Schools is committed to ensuring that students have a voice in the issues that affect them at the school and district level.
The Boston Student Advisory Council (BSAC)
The Boston Student Advisory Council (BSAC) is a citywide body of student leaders representing their respective high schools. Among their activities, BSAC members:
- convene twice monthly;
- meet with the Superintendent and members of the School Committee to offer their views on high school renewal efforts;
- provide student perspectives on education policy issues;
- develop and disseminate materials to help students understand their rights and responsibilities; and
- inform their respective schools about relevant citywide issues.
- A member of BSAC also serves as a non-voting student representative on the Boston School Committee.
For more information about BSAC, call 617-635-9446.
School Site Councils
Schools elect a School Site Council to make decisions on some school-wide matters. At the high school level, a student elected by his or her peers must serve on the council.
For more information about student participation on School Site Councils, call 617-635-7750.
The following is a partial list of local community-based agencies that help organize, support and empower students to become involved in their schools and communities.
- Boston Youth Organizing Project
- Citizens Schools
- Hyde Square Task Force
- Mayor's Youth Council
- Project Hip Hop
- Sociedad Latina
- Teen Empowerment
- Young People's Project
- Youth on Board