Kindergarten and Pre-K
There are several options to get our youngest learners off to a successful start.
- Kindergarten (K2) - Kindergarten is a six-hour (full-day) program for 5-year olds provided in all elementary schools. School assignment is guaranteed for all children who apply for fullday K2. However, due to space constraints, an assignment cannot be guaranteed to a school you choose. To register for K2, children must be five years old on or before September 1, 2018.
- Pre-Kindergarten (K0 or K1) - There are more than 2,400 seats available for children who are four years old on or before September 1, 2018. There are also a very limited number of openings in K0 for children who are three years old on or before September 1, 2018. Assignments to these programs cannot be guaranteed.
- Schools for Early Learners - Several schools offer full-day kindergarten (starting with K0 or K1) through grade 1 or grade 3, plus before and after school care from 7:30 a.m. to 4:35 p.m. All are free. Seats are limited and wait lists can be long for these popular programs.
Important Kindergarten Notes
- All general education kindergarten students are guaranteed a seat through the highest grade of their assigned school, following the guidelines of our student assignment plan.
- Exceptions cannot be made to our entry age policy, regardless of the child’s previous school experience.
- State law states each child must attend school beginning in September of the calendar year in which the child turns six years old.
- If you need a program for your three- or fouryear-old, you are encouraged to check out Head Start, Child Care Choices of Boston, and other preschool options. While the K1 program at BPS for 4-year-olds has expanded in recent years, assignment cannot be guaranteed.
Countdown to Kindergarten
This partnership among the BPS, City of Boston, and many community organizations is working to provide a positive transition into BPS kindergarten for students and their families. Pick up copies of their publications, available in many languages, at any Welcome Center, or call 617-635-9288 or visit their excellent website — redesigned for 2016: