BPS early education programs have been recognized as among the most effective in the nation at closing achievement gaps. We offer several options to get our youngest learners off to a successful start.
“Countdown to Kindergarten”
- Kindergarten 2. Our goal is to offer the best possible preparation for children entering grade 1. To meet this goal, we provide a six-hour K2 program for 5-year-olds in all elementary schools. We guarantee a school assignment for all children who apply for full-day K2. However, due to capacity limits, we can’t guarantee an assignment to a school you choose. To register for K2 for the 2016-17 school year, children must be five years old on or before September 1, 2016.
- Kindergarten for younger students. K1 has grown! In 2016-17, we will have more than 2,400 seats for children who are four years old on or before September 1, 2016. We also have a very limited number of openings in K0 for children who are three years old on or before September 1, 2016. We regret that we cannot guarantee an assignment to these programs.
- Schools for Early Learners. We have several schools that offer full-day kindergarten (starting with K0 or K1) through grade 1 or grade 3, plus before and after school care from 7:30 am to 4:35 pm, all free. Seats are limited and wait lists can be long for these popular programs.
This partnership among the BPS, City of Boston, and many community organizations is working to provide a positive transition into BPS kindergarten for students and their families. Pick up copies of their publications, available in many languages, at any Welcome Center, or call 617-635-9288 or visit their excellent website — redesigned for 2016:
Important Kindergarten Notes
- All general education kindergarten students are guaranteed a seat through the highest grade of their assigned school, following the guidelines of our student assignment plan.
- We regret that we can’t make exceptions to our entry age policy, regardless of your child’s previous school experience.
- State law says each child must attend school beginning in September of the calendar year in which the child turns six years old. If your child turns six from September 2–December 31, we will assign him or her to K2.
- If you need a program for your three- or four-year-old, we encourage you to check out Head Start, Child Care Choices of Boston, and other preschool options. While our K1 program for 4-year-olds has greatly expanded in recent years, we can’t guarantee an assignment for all applicants.