Background about changes at the Mattahunt Elementary School:
- In September 2016, the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education moved the Mattahunt Elementary School into the accountability status “Level 4 – Under Review,” after several years of underperformance.
- In order to avert potential State takeover of the school, Superintendent Chang recommended and the School Committee approved a proposal to close the school at the end of the 2016-17 school year and reopen the facility as an early elementary school.
- The current Mattahunt Elementary School will close on June 30, 2017.
- On July 1, 2017, a new early elementary school will open in the building, serving students in K0 through Grade 1.
- Current Mattahunt students in K0 through K2 will have the highest priority for seats in the new early elementary school.
This page will be updated regularly with the latest information for families, staff, and the community about the closing of the existing school. For information about the design and opening of the new school, please visit the Mattapan Early Elementary School page.BPS is committed to ensuring that all Mattahunt students and their families are supported as they transition from the Mattahunt to a new school for 2017-2018 academic year. Registration is open to all. Welcome Centers are available to help you. Pre-registration is highly recommended. Please visit www.discoverbps.org.
Key Documents:Schedule of 1-to-1 Consultation Sessions for Mattahunt families (January 14-22):Mattahunt families' guide to the school choice process:English | Spanish | Haitian Creole