In BPS, a transfer is a student moving from one Boston Public School to another Boston Public School. If your child currently attends a school outside of Boston or attends a private, parochial, or charter school, please follow the instructions for registration here.
To submit a transfer, a parent must visit a Welcome Center with a photo ID.
- The transfer period for the current school ends on November 30, 2023 for students in grades 1-12 and will end on January 31, 2024 for students in grades K0-K2.
- You are now able to submit transfer requests for the 2023-2024 school year. The transfer window for the 2024-2025 school year will open in January. Please visit www.bostonpublicschools.org/register or contact a Welcome Center for more information.
- Due to the limited availability of seats, transfers are not guaranteed. If available, students will be assigned to their top-ranked school with an available seat.
- A transfer will replace any prior assignments, rankings, and waitlists. So, if a transfer is granted for the current school year, your child will lose their current school year assignment.
- Similarly, if a transfer is granted for the next school year, your child will lose any prior assignments for the next school year.
- For all transfer requests made after April 1st, if no seats are available, your child will be placed on the waitlist for their first-choice school until waitlists expire.
- If your child is assigned to a high-level-of-need special education program (full inclusion or substantially separate), transfer requests for the 2023-2024 school year will be reviewed in late July/early August of 2023 and then again in November 2023. If your child is in a kindergarten program, requests will also be reviewed in January 2024. Please note that the transfer request policy applies to students moving from one program to the same program at a different school and does not apply to students who need a different school and/or program as determined by the IEP Team.
School Choice Reference Guides for BPS Families
All Grade School Choice Reference Guide
High School Choice Reference Guide