In BPS, a transfer is a student moving from one Boston Public School to another Boston Public School. If your child currently attends a school outside of Boston or attends a private, parochial, or charter school, please follow the instructions for registration here.
To submit a transfer, a parent must visit a Welcome Center with a photo ID.
- Transfers for the current school year ended on November 30, 2020, for grades 1-12 and on January 31, 2021, for K0-K2.
- Transfer requests for the 2021-2022 school year start January 2021. Please visit www.bostonpublicschools.org/register or contact a Welcome Center for more information.
- Due to the limited availability of seats, transfers are not guaranteed. If available, students will be assigned to their top-ranked school with an available seat.
- A transfer will replace any prior assignments, rankings, and waitlists. So, if a transfer is granted for the current school year, your child will lose their current school year assignment.
- Similarly, if a transfer is granted for the next school year, your child will lose any prior assignments for the next school year.
- For all transfer requests, if no seats are available, your child will be placed on the waitlist for their first-choice school until waitlists expire.
- If your child is assigned to a high-level-of-need special education program (full inclusion or substantially separate), transfer requests for the 2021- 2022 school year will be reviewed in late July/early August of 2021 and then again in November 2021. If your child is in a kindergarten program, requests will also be reviewed in January 2022. In addition to calling a Welcome Center, parents can request a transfer in writing through the Special Education Coordinator at their child’s school. Please note that the transfer request policy applies to students moving from one program to the same program at a different school and does not apply to students who need a different school and/or program as determined by the IEP Team.
School Choice Reference Guides for BPS Families
All Grade School Choice Reference Guide
High School Choice Reference Guide