In BPS, a transfer is a student moving from one Boston Public School to another Boston Public School. If your child currently attends a school outside of Boston or attends a private, parochial, or charter school, please follow the instructions for registration here.
To submit a transfer, a parent must visit a Welcome Center with a photo ID.
- The transfer period for the current school ends on November 30, 2022 for students in grades 1-12 and on January 31, 2023 for K0-K2.
- Transfer requests for the 2023-2024 school year will start in January 2023. Please visit www.bostonpublicschools.org/register or contact a Welcome Center for more information.
- Due to the limited availability of seats, transfers are not guaranteed. If available, students will be assigned to their top-ranked school with an available seat.
- A transfer will replace any prior assignments, rankings, and waitlists. So, if a transfer is granted for the current school year, your child will lose their current school year assignment.
- Similarly, if a transfer is granted for the next school year, your child will lose any prior assignments for the next school year.
- For all transfer requests made after April 1st, if no seats are available, your child will be placed on the waitlist for their first-choice school until waitlists expire.
- If your child is assigned to a high-level-of-need special education program (full inclusion or substantially separate), transfer requests for the 2022-2023 school year will be reviewed in late July/early August of 2022 and then again in November 2022. If your child is in a kindergarten program, requests will also be reviewed in January 2023. In addition to contacting a Welcome Center, parents can request a transfer in writing through the Special Education Coordinator at their child’s school. Please note that the transfer request policy applies to students moving from one program to the same program at a different school and does not apply to students who need a different school and/or program as determined by the IEP Team.
School Choice Reference Guides for BPS Families
All Grade School Choice Reference Guide
High School Choice Reference Guide