Need to register your child for Boston Public Schools? All Welcome Centers are open, so register your child today!
Registration for the 2024-2025 school year is now available! Get a head start on the registration process by pre-registering online! Please visit sis.mybps.org to pre-register and schedule an appointment at bostonpublicschools.org/appointment
If you are registering your child for the school year starting in September 2024, registration for students entering K0, K1, K2, Grade 6, Grade 7, and Grade 9 runs from January 4 through February 9. Registration for students entering all other grades begins on February 12. See below for the full set of dates for the 2024-2025 school year.
Outside the usual Welcome Center hours of operation, there will be two Saturday registration dates at the Dorchester Welcome Center (1216 Dorchester Ave, 02125). These will be on Saturday, January 20th and Saturday, February 3rd from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM.
Please review the Registration Checklist for the list of required documents to register your child and make the process run smoothly.
Ways to Register
You can register by:
- Computer: pre-register online and schedule an appointment before completing the process on the phone or in-person.
- In-person: Stop by one of our four Welcome Centers and work directly with a registration specialist.
BPS Welcome Centers are located in Roxbury, Dorchester, East Boston, and Roslindale. The Welcome Centers are open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9 am to 5 pm and Wednesday from 12 noon to 5 pm. The Welcome Center in East Boston is only open on Monday and Tuesday, 9 am to 5 pm.
Get a head start on the registration process by pre-registering your student online.
BPS Registration Checklist and Registration Form
See our BPS Registration Checklist below to ensure you have all the necessary documents to register for Boston Public Schools.
* We are happy to offer registration assistance in other languages. For interpretation assistance, please call the Welcome Center at 617-635-9010.
Round 1: Priority Registration Period for students entering K0, K1, K2, Grade 6, Grade 7*, and Grade 9 in September of 2024
- Registration runs from January 4 - February 9, 2024.
- Assignment notifications will be sent by March 31, 2024.
*Note: Students entering Grade 7 will make school choices during the Jan 4 - Feb 9 period, but will receive assignment notifications by May 31, 2024. This is due to the timeline for exam school invitations, which are scheduled to be sent out by April 30.
Round 2: Priority Registration Period for all other grades not listed above.
- Registration runs from February 12 - April 5, 2024.
- Assignment notifications will be sent by May 31, 2024.
Current BPS Students in Final Grade of their school
Current BPS students enrolled in the final grade of their school will receive choice forms to be able to make new school choices for the 2024-2025 school year. Choice forms will be sent out in early January (for rising 6, 7, and 9th graders) and mid-February (for all other grades). Choice forms will be sent via email and sent home through your child's school. They can be completed online or returned to your school.
Before You Visit a Welcome Center
- Explore your family's choices by visiting DiscoverBPS.org.
- Pre-register online - your appointment will go faster.
- Schedule an appointment online for a shorter wait time.
- Review the 2024-2025 School Year Age Requirements for enrollment.
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents listed below to register your child.
- Child’s original birth certificate, I-94 form, or passport*
- Child’s up-to-date immunization record
- Child's up-to-date physical exam record (within the last year)
- Parent/Guardian’s photo identification
- TWO of the following documents to verify City of Boston residency (items cannot be from the same category below):
- A Utility Bill (not water or cell phone) dated within the past 60 days
- A Deed or Mortgage Payment dated within the past 60 days, or Property Tax Bill dated within the last year
- A current Lease, Section 8 Agreement, or BPS Landlord Affidavit, dated within a year
BPS Landlord Affidavit are also available in:
English | Kabuverdianu | 文 | Kreyòl | Português | Español | tiếng Việt | Afsoomaali
- A W2 form dated within the year or a Payroll Stub dated within the past 60 days
- A Bank or Credit Card Statement dated within the past 60 days
- A Letter from an Approved Government Agency** dated within the past 60 days
*Use of Passport requires completion of BPS Parent Affidavit.
**Approved Government Agencies include the Department of Revenue (DOR), Department of Children and Families (DCF), Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA), Department of Youth Services (DYS) or Social Security. Some communications on Commonwealth of Massachusetts Letterhead may also apply.
- If your child has an IEP, please make sure to have a copy of the most recent IEP available when you register.
- It is recommended that high school students bring in a copy of their transcript when they register to help determine the most appropriate grade level for your student.
Please Note: families who register in February through June for an assignment for both the current and the following school year are NOT guaranteed to keep their current school year's school placement for the next school year.
International Exchange Students: review the International Exchange Students process for additional information about Boston Public Schools' policy on international students temporarily looking to study in Boston.
School Registration Information Sessions
These sessions provide information about the school registration process before you register your child for the 2024-2025 school year. Our in-person information sessions have now concluded. Please click the link below to view a recording of our session from December 13, 2023.
All schools are also now hosting their own information sessions to learn more about their school in preparation for registration for the 2024-2025 school year. Visit www.bostonpublicschools.org/schoolpreview for a list of the dates and times for each school.
Schools Requiring a Separate Application
Some of our schools require a separate application or run a special admissions process in order to be assigned. If your child is interested in attending one of these schools, you will need to complete the special application for the school you wish to attend and also rank the school as one of your school choices at the Welcome Center.
The document below contains the specific requirements for each school and their application deadlines for the 2024-2025 school year. The second page contains the link to the school's online application.
If your student needs language testing, a registration specialist will help you schedule an appointment at the Newcomers Assessment Counseling Center (NACC). Language testing is conducted in person at the Bolling Building (2300 Washington Street, Roxbury). Once your student has completed their language assessment, you can make your school selections.
We are here to serve you and are happy to offer registration assistance in other languages. For interpretation assistance, please call the Welcome Center at 617-635-9010.
Please complete the Work Permits Form.
Once completed, a Registration Specialist will contact you within two business days regarding the next steps for your work permit.
Registration Hotline(617) 635-9046