July 2022 Update: Roxbury Welcome Center is the only site open for in-person services during July. Appointments are encouraged for both in-person and remote services. Roxbury Welcome Center is open Mon, Tue, Thurs 9-5 pm; Wednesday 12-5 pm; and Friday by remote appointment only. You can schedule an appointment by using this link. All Centers will re-open August 1st.
The notifications for the second round of assignments for the next school year were emailed on Tuesday, May 31. These notifications are for students who registered during the priority registration period between February 7 and April 1, 2022.
In addition, students who are entering grade 7 in September and have not been invited to an exam school will now receive their assignment notifications.
If you did not receive an email with your assignment, please call the BPS Welcome Center at 617-635-9046 to find out your school assignment and waitlist information.
Please confirm your seat for next year by visiting bostonpublicschools.org/rsvp or calling the BPS Welcome Center at 617-635-9046.
For information on BPS Transportation eligibility, please visit bostonpublicschools.org/transportation or call the Transportation Hotline at 617-635-9520. Additional details will be provided in June, including transportation eligibility, the timeline for families receiving bus assignments (for bus-eligible students), and how to opt out of bus transportation if you don't need it.
It’s not too late to register your student for next year! Learn more about how to register below or call the BPS Welcome Center.
In an effort to keep all of our families safe and to limit exposure to COVID-19, school registration is by appointment only. Follow all three of these steps to complete your students’ registration:
Visit https://sis.mybps.org to complete your pre-registration for your student and upload the required documents. You can find a list of the required documents here. Be sure to click the “SUBMIT” button once you have filled out the form.English | Español | عربى | Kabuverdianu | 中文 | Français | Kreyòl | Português | Afsoomaali | tiếng Việt
See our BPS Registration Checklist below to ensure you have all the necessary documents to register for Boston Public Schools.
- Once your pre-registration is complete, schedule your appointment by clicking here. Be sure to select either “in person” or “remote.” This step is required to complete the process.
On the day of your appointment:
- If you select an in-person appointment, visit the Welcome Center you selected (see locations) at your scheduled time and meet your Registration Specialist to complete your registration.
- If you select a remote appointment, a Registration Specialist will call you to complete your registration over the phone.
Questions? Contact Welcome Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-635-9010
BPS Registration Process One-Pager:
BPS Welcome Center staff are available to answer all of your questions about school registration. We also assist with work permits.
Pre-registration for the 2022-2023 school year is now available at https://sis.mybps.org. For the school year starting in September of 2022, the priority registration period for students entering grades K0, K1, 6, and 9 ran from January 5 until February 4. Students assigned in that round received assignment notifications on March 31. The priority registration period for students entering K2 and all other grades runs from February 7 - April 1. Families will be notified of their assignment by the end of May. Registration is also still available for the current school year (SY 2021-2022). Please see below for more information.
Earlier in the year, all schools held virtual information sessions for prospective families to learn more about each school, meet the school leader, and ask questions. These info sessions have now concluded, but you can still visit www.bostonpublicschools.org/schoolpreview to see the contact info for each school and reach out to the school directly with any questions.
Roxbury Welcome Center is the only site open for in-person services during July. Appointments are encouraged for both in-person and remote services. Roxbury Welcome Center is open Mon, Tue, Thurs 9-5 pm; Wednesday 12-5 pm; and Friday by remote appointment only. You can schedule an appointment by using this link. All Centers will re-open August 1st.
View the beginning of this page for registration steps.
Please continue to check our website for updates.
Please view a recorded information session if you are registering your child for the upcoming school year and would like to learn about the process.
Wednesday, December 1 @ 10:00 am - Meeting Recording
Wednesday, December 1 @ 5:30 pm - Meeting Recording
Thursday, February 3 @ 10:00 am - Meeting Recording
Important Dates for School Year 2022-2023 School Year Registration
*Assignments for grades K0, K1, 6, or 9 only. Exam School assignments for Grade 7 and 9 are at the end of April/early May. All other grade 7 assignment notices will be sent by May 31, 2022.
If your student needs language testing, a registration specialist will help you schedule an appointment at the Newcomers Assessment Counseling Center (NACC). Language testing is conducted in person at the Bolling Building (2300 Washington Street, Roxbury). Once your student has completed their language assessment, you can make your school selections.
We are here to serve you and are happy to offer registration assistance in other languages. For interpretation assistance, please call the Welcome Center at 617-635-9010.
BPS Student Registration Form
BPS Registration Document Checklist
For Work Permits, please complete this form. Once completed a Registration Specialist will contact you within two business days regarding the next steps for your work permit.
Visit our BuildBPS page to learn more about recent updates regarding schools expanding to serve 6th grade.
Before You Visit a Welcome Center
- Read DiscoverBPS, a resource for incoming and current BPS families seeking a new school, program, or placement:
- See our age requirements for enrollment: 2022-2023 School Year
- Explore your family's choices by visiting DiscoverBPS.org.
- Pre-register online here - your appointment will go faster.
- Schedule an appointment online here for a shorter wait time
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents listed below to register your child.
- Child’s original birth certificate, I-94 form, or passport
- Child’s up-to-date immunization record
- Parent/Guardian’s photo identification
- TWO of the following documents to verify City of Boston residency (items cannot be from the same category below):
- A Utility Bill (not water or cell phone) dated within the past 60 days
- A Deed, Mortgage Payment dated within the past 60 days, or Property Tax Bill dated within the last year
- A current Lease, Section 8 Agreement, or BPS Landlord Affidavit, dated within a year
- A W2 form dated within the year or a Payroll Stub dated within the past 60 days
- A Bank or Credit Card Statement dated within the past 60 days
- A Letter from an Approved Government Agency* dated within the past 60 days
Please Note: Families who register in February through June for an assignment for both the current and the following school year are NOT guaranteed to keep their current school year school placement for the next school year.
International Exchange Students: Please click here for additional information about Boston Public Schools' policy on international students temporarily looking to study in Boston. International Exchange Students
Registration Hotline(617) 635-9046