Registration for the 2023-2024 school year is now open! Learn more about how to register below or call the BPS Welcome Center at 617-635-9046.
Ways to Register
You can register by:
- Computer: pre-register online and schedule an appointment before completing the process on the phone or in-person.
- In-person: Stop by one of our four Welcome Centers and work directly with a registration specialist.
Get a head start on the registration process by pre-registering your student online.
BPS Registration Checklist
See our BPS Registration Checklist below to ensure you have all the necessary documents to register for Boston Public Schools.
* We are happy to offer registration assistance in other languages. For interpretation assistance, please call the Welcome Center at 617-635-9010.
Before You Visit a Welcome Center
- Explore your family's choices by visiting DiscoverBPS.org.
- Pre-register online - your appointment will go faster.
- Schedule an appointment online for a shorter wait time.
- Review the 2023-2024 School Year Age Requirements for enrollment.
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents listed below to register your child.
- Child’s original birth certificate, I-94 form, or passport*
- Child’s up-to-date immunization record
- Child's up-to-date physical exam record (within the last year)
- Parent/Guardian’s photo identification
- TWO of the following documents to verify City of Boston residency (items cannot be from the same category below):
- A Utility Bill (not water or cell phone) dated within the past 60 days
- A Deed or Mortgage Payment dated within the past 60 days, or Property Tax Bill dated within the last year
- A current Lease, Section 8 Agreement, or BPS Landlord Affidavit, dated within a year
BPS Landlord Affidavit are also available in:
English | Kabuverdianu | 文 | Kreyòl | Português | Español | tiếng Việt | Afsoomaali
- A W2 form dated within the year or a Payroll Stub dated within the past 60 days
- A Bank or Credit Card Statement dated within the past 60 days
- A Letter from an Approved Government Agency** dated within the past 60 days
*Use of Passport requires completion of BPS Parent Affidavit.
**Approved Government Agencies include the Department of Revenue (DOR), Department of Children and Families (DCF), Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA), Department of Youth Services (DYS) or Social Security. Some communications on Commonwealth of Massachusetts Letterhead may also apply.
- If your child has an IEP, please make sure to have a copy of the most recent IEP available when you register.
- It is recommended that high school students bring in a copy of their transcript when they register to help determine the most appropriate grade level for your student.
Please Note: families who register in February through June for an assignment for both the current and the following school year are NOT guaranteed to keep their current school year's school placement for the next school year.
International Exchange Students: review the International Exchange Students process for additional information about Boston Public Schools' policy on international students temporarily looking to study in Boston.
School Registration Information Sessions
Registration Information Sessions for the 2023-2024 school year have now concluded. Please see the link below for a recording of the information session from December 14. For any additional questions about the registration process, please contact the BPS Welcome Center.
If your student needs language testing, a registration specialist will help you schedule an appointment at the Newcomers Assessment Counseling Center (NACC). Language testing is conducted in person at the Bolling Building (2300 Washington Street, Roxbury). Once your student has completed their language assessment, you can make your school selections.
We are here to serve you and are happy to offer registration assistance in other languages. For interpretation assistance, please call the Welcome Center at 617-635-9010.
Please complete the Work Permits Form.
Once completed, a Registration Specialist will contact you within two business days regarding the next steps for your work permit.
Registration Hotline(617) 635-9046