School Wellness Councils
Boston Public Schools understands that physical, social and emotional well-being, and positive development are inextricably linked with academic success. School-based wellness councils are the primary engines for creating safe, healthy, and sustaining learning environments at each school. School Wellness Councils act as a shared leadership team to implement the District Wellness Policy and wellness-related policies at each school. All Boston Public Schools are required to establish and maintain a school-based Wellness Council.
School-based Wellness Councils must, annually:
- Convene at least 4 times per year
- Review wellness-related policies in 8 topic areas
- Complete an assessment of their school health environment
- Write a Wellness Action Plan for the school year based on the assessment
- Implement the Wellness Action Plan
Wellness Action Plan
Wellness Councils are responsible for assessing the school on implementation of the District Wellness Policy, developing a Wellness Action Plan, and implementing the Wellness Action Plan. A Wellness Action Plan is a dynamic tool to guide a school’s wellness work and is a required component of the Quality School Improvement Plan (QSP). Wellness Action Plans are due on November 15, 2019 in your school's QSP folder.
Sign up in TeachPoint for Wellness Council 101, a three-part training series:
- Forming and Maintaining an Active Wellness Council
- Wed, Oct 2nd (4 – 5:30PM) or
- Thurs, Oct 3rd (7 – 8:30AM)
- Assessing Your School’s Wellness Environment
- Wed, Oct 9th (4 – 5:30PM) or
- Thurs, Oct 10th (7 – 8:30AM)
- Creating Wellness Action Plans
- Wed, Oct 16th (4 – 5:30PM) or
- Thurs, Oct 17th (7 – 8:30AM)
Technical assistance can be provided for starting a Wellness Council, improving Wellness Council functionality, completing the Alliance’s Healthy School Program Assessment, writing a Wellness Action Plan, and other school wellness initiatives. Short-term technical assistance usually involves one or two sessions in person or via phone or email.
Wellness Council Coaching Program helps school leaders and staff that need more assistance in starting a wellness council or implementing a specific part of the Wellness Policy. Coaching is a longer-term relationship with your school that involves at least 3 meetings and monthly check-ins to provide assistance that fits your school’s needs.
Contact Michelle Grohe at email@example.com or 617-635-9771