District Wellness Council
The District Wellness Council recommends, reviews, and advises on the development and implementation of district policies that address student health and wellness. BPS takes a comprehensive approach to reviewing and incorporating changes in policy, curriculum, and operating procedures to promote healthy lifestyles and sustainable wellness practices for all students and staff. District Wellness Council members are appointed by the Superintendent and are required to attend four open meetings during the school year. These meetings are open to the public.
All meetings will be held from 3:00 - 5:00 PM at the Bolling Building 2300 Washington St, Roxbury, MA
- Wednesday, October 3, 2018 (Room TBD)
- Wednesday, January 30, 2019 (Room TBD)
- Wednesday, March 20, 2019 (Room TBD)
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019 (Room TBD)
District Wellness Action Plan
Policy requires that the District Wellness Council develop an annual Wellness Action Plan that details to the goals and objectives of the council for the school year. The District Wellness Council Action Plan is a living planning document used by the council to track the work completed over the year. The document may be updated by the council throughout the year as tasks are completed or action steps and deadlines adjusted.
The District Wellness Council has formed workgroups of BPS community members and staff to focus the work of the council in each of the policy areas:
- Cultural Proficiency
- TBD, co-chair (BPS)
- Edna G. Rivera-Carrasco, co-chair (Boston Public Health Commission)
- School Food and Nutrition Promotion
- Kelly Walsh, co-chair (BPS Nutrition Manager)
- Comprehensive Physical Activity and Physical Education
- Jessica Greene, co-chair (BPS Director of Physical Education)
- Dr. Angie Craddock, co-chair (Harvard School of Public Health)
- Comprehensive Health Education
- Cheryl Todisco, co-chair (BPS Director of Health Education)
- Healthy School Environment
- Katherine Walsh, co-chair (BPS Sustainability and Environmental Resources Manager)
- Al Vega, co-chair (MassCOSH)
- Health Services
- Margaret VanCleve-Rocchio, co-chair (BPS Senior Director of School Health Services)
- Safe and Supportive Schools
- Andria Amador, co-chair (BPS Senior Director of Behavioral Health Services)
- Staff Wellness (co-chairs TBD)
If you are interested in joining a subcommittee, please complete and submit this interest form.
Review the BPS District Wellness Policy for details about the council requirements, school-based wellness council requirements and each policy area's requirements.
For more information, contact the Assistant Director of Wellness Policy & Promotions, Maryka Lier at email@example.com or 617-635-7926