COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH EDUCATION is an integral component of quality school programming. Comprehensive health education provides students with opportunities to acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary for making health-promoting decisions, achieving health literacy, adopting health-enhancing behaviors, and promoting the health of others. Comprehensive health education promotes healthy habits, healthy relationships, and health literacy.
ABOUT BPS HEALTH EDUCATION
- Health Education Overview
- What does BPS health education mean to me?
- Meet our BPS Health Teachers
- Skills Taught Throughout PreK-12 Programming:
- Goal Setting
- Decision Making
- Health Literacy
- Analyzing Influences of family, peers, media and technology on health behaviors
- Health Advocacy for self, family and others
- Interpersonal Communication & Refusal Skills
- Accessing Valid Information, Products and Services to enhance health
HEALTH EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Comprehensive pre-K through grade 12 Health Education will be medically-accurate, age and developmentally appropriate, culturally inclusive, and implemented in safe and supportive learning environments where ALL students feel valued.
Promotion and graduation requirements include the following (note that these are the minimum requirements for health education programming):
- Health education in grades K-12
- Two semesters of health education in total in grades 6 to 8 taught by a licensed health education teacher
- One semester course of health education in total in grades 9 to 12 taught by a licensed health education teacher
COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH EDUCATION POLICY
The Boston Public Schools requires Comprehensive pre-K through grade 12 Health Education that is medically-accurate, age and developmentally appropriate, culturally inclusive, and implemented in safe and supportive learning environments where ALL students feel valued. View the full Policy here.
HEALTH EDUCATION FRAMEWORKS
Our vision is to provide medically accurate, age and developmentally appropriate comprehensive health education to all students in the Boston Public Schools. The Health Education Frameworks will serve as a guiding document for K-12 Health Education curriculum and instruction across the district and shall promote healthy lifestyle habits, healthy relationships, and health-literacy for all students.
HEALTH EDUCATION STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Student learning outcomes (SLOs) are statements that define the knowledge and skills that students should attain by the end of each unit of instruction. BPS health and physical educators should use the SLOs to guide curriculum and instruction.
Download the BPS Health Education Student Learning Outcomes by grade: