Test Taking Technology Skills
Students will need a variety of basic technology skills to successfully navigate the PARCC assessment. These skills range from drag & drop to use of a protractor that must be dragged and rotated on the test question. The resources below will help you understand what kinds of skills students will need and provide you with resources to practice the testing platform before the assessment.
Basic Skills Recommendations
- Mouse movement, click/tap
- Drag & drop
- Typing w/ text editor
- Select/unselect objects & text
- Select area in a matrix
- Text highlighter
- Protractor & ruler
- Video and audio player
- Watch Testing Taking Skills Presentation
5 Steps to Preparing you School for the PARCC Assessments
1. Familiarize yourself with the changes from paper-based to online assessments.
2. Give staff & students a practice test in the testing platform.
Visit the PARCC Practice Test site to take samples for ELA or Math.
3. Familiarize staff & students with accessibility and accommodation features.
4. Prepare students by walking them through the PARCC tutorial prior to the actual assessment.
Visit TestNav tutorial page to practice in the TestNav app.
5. Encourage students to practice typing at home and at school.
Visit the Typing page to find free typing resources for elementary or middle grades.