Wellness CouncilMissionThe mission of the Gardner Pilot Academy Wellness Council is to provide education, resources, and opportunities for students and staff to build healthier lives and a healthier environment.
Areas of Focus
We are working to achieve this mission by focusing on three areas: healthy eating, physical activity, and school employee wellness.
Who Are We?
We are composed of teachers, administrators, the school nurse, our City Connects social worker, community partners, and hope to involve parents and students this year.
Examples of Wellness Council Initiatives
The 2013-2014 year was very successful! We worked on a number of annual school-wide wellness events, as well as ongoing wellness promotion initiatives. We had a successful first year of GPA Fit Club last school year and plan to continue and expand this exciting program.
Annual school-wide wellness events:
- Zumbathon & Walkathon - approximately $3,000 raised
- Health Night - partnerships with Joseph Smith, Cooking Matters, BPS Health & Wellness Dept, Star Dance School, Healthy dinner from Boloco
- Indoor and Outdoor Field Days - partnerships with Boston University & Harvard University
- Promotion of daily student physical activity through the GPA Fit Club (Walk/Run Club) (New Balance partnership) and Morning Movement Minutes (morning announcements and email reminders)
- Management and Support of the GPA Healthy Snack and Beverage Policy
- Collaboration with Middle School Leadership Team to sell healthy snacks at school store.
- Staff wellness through Zumba classes and Boston Moves for Health challenge for students and staff
- Joseph Smith partnership - Zumba classes for students at the Charlesview, Cooking Matters cooking classes for parents, Dietitian-led walking field trips to the supermarket for first graders