As the only Boston Public Schools program that specifically targets dropouts, the Re-Engagement Center (REC) provides one central location in a caring environment for students to access the resources and counseling that they need to re-enroll in school and get back on track to graduation. One of the first programs of its kind nationwide, the REC has found that dropouts want to come back to school and can succeed when they’re given the right support. It is a partnership between the Boston Public Schools and the PIC.
Staff at the REC reach out to young people who have dropped out of high school. It all begins with a conversation, staff sharing their own story and listening to the young person. They help students determine what the best fit will be for them, whether it’s a high school in the district or an alternative program with a non-profit partner, and help them enroll. The REC re-enrolls more than 300 dropouts annually, connecting them with appropriate school placements, while providing the personal support that returnees need to succeed.
The Re-Engagement Center has transitioned to having student intake meetings by appointment only. We acknowledge that this is a change from the past but our intent is to improve our services for students, families and school partners. Walk-ins are still welcome during our normal hours of operation to get general information and to set an appointment.
- Outreach to dropouts via mail, phone, and door knocking
- Review transcripts to give students a picture of what they need to complete school
- Referral to online credit recovery, night school, day and summer school classes
- Help students enroll in an appropriate BPS high school or alternative program
- GED program referral
- Follow-up with students after placement
- Connections to various support services within the community
- Life and career workshops
Madison Park Complex
55 Malcolm X Blvd.
Roxbury, MA 02120
HoursMon - Thurs: 8:30 - 4:30Fridays: 8:30 - 3:30
Please call to setup an appointmentFax: 617-635-6650