Step 5: Summative Evaluation
A summative evaluation occurs at the end of an evaluation cycle and provides feedback that informs an educator’s practice, showing where s/he stands relative to standards and goals, and what s/he can work on next. The formative assessment and the summative evaluation use the same format in the Educator Development and Feedback System, however, a summative evaluation has implications for an educator’s next evaluation cycle.
Summative Evaluation Resources:
- View the complete Summative Evaluation Guide and best practices.
- Criteria for a Strong Evaluation
- Sample Rationale 1 for an Evaluation Rating on a Standard
- Sample Rationale 2 for an Evaluation Rating on a Standard
- Sample summative evaluation - Proficient rating.
- See how a summative evaluation builds on a formative assessment.