Meetings are held twice a month on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. at the Bruce C. Bolling Muncipal Building, 2300 Washington Street, School Committee Chamber, second floor, Roxbury, MA 02119. The Chamber has a capacity of 202 people. To confirm the date, time, location or agenda of any meeting, contact the School Committee office at 617-635-9014. View the 2020 School Committee Meeting Calendar here.
In accordance with MA Open Meeting Law, all Committee meetings are posted at least 48 hours in advance with the City of Boston's Office of the City Clerk. Draft agendas are posted on the BPS website at least two days before each meeting. Please visit the meeting announcement pages on the district calendar for the latest information. Archived agendas are posted by date, as well. To receive meeting agendas in advance via email, contact the School Committee Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to join the School Committee listserv.
The Committee convenes to adopt, review, and modify policies and practices that support the sound operations of the Boston Public Schools and that enhance teaching and learning and improved student achievement. On the first Monday of the year, the Committee holds its annual organizational meeting, at which time the members elect a Chair and Vice-Chair and determine the meeting schedule for the upcoming calendar year.
Rules for Public Comment
- Each School Committee meeting will feature one (1) 60-minute public comment period immediately following the Superintendent's Oral Report. The Chair would have discretion as to the length of the period.
- The Chair has the discretion to allow for an additional comment period immediately following the report presentations. The length of the comment period will be determined by the Chair.
- Each speaker will have three (3) minutes to testify. The Executive Secretary will announce when one (1) minute remains, followed by a 30-second warning.
- If twenty (20) or more speakers sign up to testify, time is reduced to two (2) minutes per individual.
- Persons who require interpretation services will be allotted an additional two (2) minutes.
- Large groups addressing the same topic are encouraged to consolidate their remarks or select a spokesperson to provide testimony.
- Written testimony is appreciated and encouraged.
- Speakers may not reassign their time to others.
- Speakers must begin their remarks by stating their name and affiliation. TV cameras will only record speakers who face the committee.
If you would like to testify at a School Committee meeting, please contact the School Committee office in advance at (617) 635-9014, send an email to email@example.com
, or you can sign up at the meeting prior to 6:30 p.m. Sign up for both public comment periods closes at 6:30 p.m.
Rules of Conduct at Meetings Convened by the School Committee
- All attendees must be seated. No one will be admitted to the School Committee Chambers once capacity is reached. (Official capacity, per Fire Marshall, is 202 people).
- Anyone who wishes to record or photograph the meeting must first notify the Chair, who will then inform the public (per Massachusetts Open Meeting Law, July 2010). Such audio or video recording may not interfere with the meeting.
- If a person continues to disrupt the meeting after a clear warning, the Chair has the authority to order that person to leave. If the person does not leave, authorities may be called (per Massachusetts Open Meeting Law, July 2010).
- Any signage must not prohibit the participation of others. The Chair will use his/her discretion.