About School Committee Meetings
The Committee meets approximately twice per month during the school year to adopt, review, and modify policies and practices that support the sound operations of the Boston Public Schools and that enhance teaching and learning and improved student achievement. On the first Monday of the year, the Committee holds its annual organizational meeting, at which time the members elect a Chair and Vice-Chair and determine the meeting schedule for the upcoming calendar year.
All meetings are posted at least 48 hours in advance at the Office of the City Clerk and at Boston Public Schools headquarters, 26 Court Street. Most meetings are held Wednesdays at 6 p.m. in the Edward Winter Chambers, 26 Court Street. To confirm the date, time, location or agenda of any meeting, contact the School Committee office.
We post draft agendas on our website several days before each meeting. Check the meeting announcement pages on the district calendar for the latest information. Archived agendas are posted by date, as well.
Rules for Public Comment
- Each School Committee meeting will feature one (1) 60-minute public comment period immediately following the Superintendent's Oral Report. The Chair would have discretion as to the length of the period.
- The Chair has the discretion to allow for an additional comment period immediately following the report presentations. The length of the comment period will be determined by the Chair.
- Each speaker will have three (3) minutes to testify. The Executive Secretary will announce when one (1) minute remains, followed by a 30-second warning.
- If twenty (20) or more speakers sign up to testify, time is reduced to two (2) minutes per individual.
- Persons who require interpretation services will be allotted an additional two (2) minutes.
- Large groups addressing the same topic are encouraged to consolidate their remarks or select a spokesperson to provide testimony.
- Written testimony is appreciated and encouraged.
- Speakers may not reassign their time to others.
- Speakers must begin their remarks by stating their name and affiliation. TV cameras will only record speakers who face the committee.
To request participation in the public comment period of any meeting, contact the School Committee Office or speak to the Executive Secretary before the start of the meeting.
Rules of Conduct at Meetings Convened by the School Committee
- All attendees must be seated. No one will be admitted to the Winter Chambers once capacity is reached. (Official capacity, per Fire Marshall, is 180).
- Anyone who wishes to record or photograph the meeting must first notify the Chair, who will then inform the public (per Massachusetts Open Meeting Law, July 2010). Such audio or video recording may not interfere with the meeting.
- If a person continues to disrupt the meeting after a clear warning, the Chair has the authority to order that person to leave. If the person does not leave, authorities may be called (per Massachusetts Open Meeting Law, July 2010).
- Any signage must not prohibit the participation of others. The Chair will use his/her discretion.
School Committee meetings are broadcast live on Boston City Television through the Mayor's Office of Cable Communications. You can view the meetings live on Comcast Channel 24 and RCN Channel 13. You can also watch the livestream of the meetings on the internet by clicking here. To watch previous meetings on-line in the School Committee archives or by visit the Boston City Cable Office video library.
2013 School Committee Meeting Schedule (as of 8/13/13, subject to change)
For updated meeting notices please see bostonpublicschools.org/calendar
Except as noted, meetings are held at 6:00 p.m. in the Winter Chambers, 26 Court Street.