1: What are my School Choices?
For School Year (SY) 2013-2014 registrants: Please contact a BPS Welcome Center.
For SY 2014-2015 registrants: School Choice Season is Nov. 1, 2013 - Jan. 7, 2014
Before families come to a Welcome Center to register for BPS, we recommend that you get familiar with the schools on your list.
Age Requirements for Boston Public Schools
School Year 2013-2014
|Year of Birth||Age as of 9/1||Grade|
1.1 Your School Choices
DiscoverBPS.org will also ask for Home Address and Grade Level, but will also take into account (if applicable) the BPS school your child's sibling currently attends. Users can also sort their list of school choices by eligibility, transportation, distance from home, and other factors. This online tool offers more school information and ways to organize school choices by providing a map view, school profiles, walk and drive time estimates and more.
BPS offers families a variety of information on our schools online, in-person, and in-print:
- DiscoverBPS (see above)
- School listings with contact information and photos
- School Showcases, an event taking place in all our schools for grades Pre-K through middle school, and a centralized event for high school
- School Preview Time includes open houses and tours at every school
Typical questions you may want to consider about each school choice:
- How close is this school to my home?
- What are the school's hours? Does this school offer before and/or after-school care?
- What will my child experience and learn every day? From year to year?
- What performance measures is this school using? Is this school making progress?
1.3 Your List
We recommend making a list of five or more schools for registration. If you are registering for first grade or above and we cannot assign your student to any of the schools you select, BPS will administratively assign him/her to the school that is closest to your home that has an available seat. S/he will also be placed on the wait lists for the top three schools you ranked.
If you are registering for Kindergarten and we cannot assign your student to any of the schools you select, we will place him/her on the wait lists for your top three school choices. Kindergarten registrants are not administratively assigned unless they will turn six-years-old before the end of the calendar year (Dec. 31).