Winship Elementary School
The Winship is a special place to learn. We infuse our core values in all our students every day with our slogan, “Be Wise at the Winship: Be Respectful, Be Responsible, Be Safe, Strive for Success”.
Science is incorporated into all instruction. We use an inquiry-based model of instruction to develop critical thinkers and problem solvers. We also have a strong, genre-based writing program. Our new library/media center invites research and a love of reading.
We are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), which insures that our youngest students are receiving the best possible education.
What makes our school special:
• Accredited by the National Association of Educators of Young Children (NAEYC)
• Science-focused school with an outdoor classroom
• A small, caring, elementary school with experienced staff
• Strong reading and math intervention program to meet individual students’ needs
• On-site counseling services provided by staff from Franciscan Hospital for Children
• City Connects, linking school and families to community resources
• Big Brother and Big Sister program that pairs our students with college students for recreational and weekend activities
• Strong support for second language learners, including Project Alerta
• Playworks recess and after school program, supporting positive, cooperative, fun play time for all
• Tutors and student interns who help teachers and students individually and in small groups
* K-8 Pathway: Winship 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Edison K-8 School.
Special academic programs:
• Special Education: K0/K1 Early Childhood classroom; K2 and grade 1 Primary Transition program
• English language learners: Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) K1 classroom
• AVID college readiness program
• BU Making Music instrument lessons; Boston College, Boston University, Wheelock and Simmons student teachers, BUILD tutoring program (Boston University); City Connects student support coordinator; Franciscan Hospital for Children; Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts; Lasell College math tutors; Oak Square YMCA before and after school program; Boston Literacy Partnership Program (Boston College Neighborhood Center); Temple Beth Zion tutoring
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, from 7:30 am: Run by YMCA for ages 5 and older; some scholarships available.
• After school: YMCA-run program to 6:00 pm for ages 5 and older; Access grants, vouchers and scholarships available.
Playworks after school active play for grades 4 and 5.
Project Alerta after school program for English language learners in grades 3-5.