The Winship is a special place to learn. Our students build character in a multicultural environment by practicing the Winship core values: “Be Wise at the Winship: Be Respectful, Be Responsible, Be Safe, Strive for Success”. Our mission is to provide a rigorous education through STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math). We commit ourselves to celebrating the diversity of our community in order to foster the growth of life long learners and global citizens.
Winship teachers are committed to creating a learning environment that engages every student every day. They accomplish this through lessons and projects that emphasize 21st century skills and account for each student’s interests and needs.
We have a vibrant, active, diverse School Parent Council that works hard to engage all members of our school community. Our City Connects coordinator links families to resources, such as before and after school programs, summer camp, and scouts.
What makes our school special:
• Accredited by the National Association of Educators of Young Children (NAEYC)
• Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics (STEAM)-focused school with an outdoor classroom
• A small, caring, elementary school with highly qualified staff
• Strong reading and math intervention program to meet individual students’ needs
• On-site counseling services provided by staff from Franciscan Hospital for Children
• City Connects partnership, linking school and families to community resources
• Big Brother and Big Sister program that pairs our students with college students for recreational and weekend activities
• Strong support for second language learners, including Project ALERTA
• Student teachers from Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern University
• Tutors and student interns who help teachers and students individually and in small groups
* K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Edison K-8 School.