Tynan Elementary School
Our school has a culturally and academically diverse student population. We have autistic and general education students and English language learners in our school. We have school based counseling and Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy for students. We also have an autism strand specialist and a full time special education student support coordinator. In addition to offering science, physical education, computer and art, we also have City Stage and Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) to provide students with additional enrichment activities. We currently use Reading Street and TERC Investigations for our literacy and math programs. This year we have a parent services coordinator and an operations coordinator who assist the school and families in a variety of ways.
What makes our school special:
• Science programs from Mass. Water Resources Authority (MWRA)
• Family Nights focusing on math, literacy, and MCAS support
• A new school library, computers with Internet in classrooms, and an exciting playground
• Mass. History Initiative
• Boston Partners in Education / Power Lunch, mentoring students in kindergarten through grade 3
• Two full time science specialists
• Culturally diverse school population
• Volunteers and tutors from NSTAR, Boston Partners in Education, Foster Grandparents, and Generations, Inc.
• Facilities: library, playground, computer lab, gymnasium
* K-12 Pathway: Tynan 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Dearborn School, which is becoming a STEM (science/technology/engineering/math) school for grades 6-12.
Special academic programs:
• Special Education: autism program
• Program for English Language learners
• Arbour Counseling, Boston Institute of Psychotherapy, City Stage, Lifetouch, Mount Washington Bank, Tynan Community School, Boston Partners in Education, Westin Hotel, Greater Boston Food Bank
Before and after school programs in our building:
• None in school; bus to South Boston Neighborhood House and South Boston Boys & Girls Club