Tobin K-8 School
The Tobin is an extended services K-8 school that engages school staff, families and community partnerships to help students’ social- emotional well-being and academic success. The model of our school places students at the center of our work by creating networks of shared responsibility among all our stakeholders.
As a team, everyone helps to provide guidance, expertise, political support, and internal and external resources that support the goals of our Whole School Improvement Plan. Our goal is to continue to strengthen the home-school connection.
The Tobin K-8 School has partnered with the Achievement Network (ANet) to help us establish the structures and practices necessary for a successful transition to the Massachusetts Common Core curriculum. Please visit our website at www.tobinK8.org to learn more about our school offerings, programmatic opportunities and partnerships.
What makes our school special:
• Three outstanding programs to meet each student’s individual learning needs and improve academic performance
• A state-of-the art computer lab donated by former Celtics star Ray Allen
• Focus on the arts in collaboration with Mass. College of Art & Design, Gardner Museum, Alvin Ailey Dance Company, and OrigiNations
• Music and dance opportunities offered through Sociedad Music Club and Pabon Salsa Classes
• Summer jobs for graduating 8th graders with Brigham & Women’s Hospital
• Fully-staffed Family Center providing resources for families such as workshops, adult ESL classes, and Food Bank
• Active School Parent Council and School Site Council
• Tutors for All: 1-to-1 tutoring program for 6th grade students
• Boston Educator of the Year award winners on staff
• Facilities: auditorium, playground, computer lab, art room
Special academic programs:
• AVID college readiness program
• Tobin Community Center, Boston Institute of Psychotherapy, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Children’s Hospital Neighborhood Partnerships, City Year, Friends of the Children, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Parker Hill Library, Sociedad Latina, Whittier Street Health Center
Before and after school programs in our building:
• NONE ON DATA FORM: MANY INCLUDED IN LAST YEAR’S IBPS