Russell Elementary School
At the Russell, our guiding principles are “learning, collaboration and results.” The Russell is one of just three Boston elementary schools working with EdVestors, a nonprofit school improvement organization, to drive student success. Together we are improving the quality of teaching and tailoring our lesson plans to meet the needs of every child.
We are proud to feature literacy support programs, full day K1 early childhood programs, full-time instructors in science, computers, the arts and physical education, and we have state-of-the-art computer labs available for student use. We also believe in family and parent engagement and offer workshops co-facilitated by teachers and the community members for our families.
Also at the Russell, our students participate in Discovering Justice, which teaches students about civic responsibility and the power of their own voice. We hope you will visit our school and see our new outdoor learning center and schoolyard!
What makes our school special:
• Project based learning around nature and sustainability in our outdoor classroom and community garden
• Partnerships with the Kraft Foundation and Fuel Up to Play 60 that provide opportunities for student leadership in the context of health and wellness
• Learning trips to sites like Hale Reservation, Harbor Islands, Museum of Science, Wakefield Estate, Plimouth Plantation and the New England Aquarium
• Named a Bronze Level school with the Alliance for a Healthier Generation Healthy Schools Program
• Physical education, science, computers, art, library and music
• Technology in the classroom to support learning: Smart boards, iPads, computers, flip cameras, and a grant from Adobe Youth Voices
• Programs to encourage student leadership, including the Student Wellness Council, 10 Boys Initiative and Junior Coaches
• Strong partnership with City Mission and Citizens Bank to provide resources for students and families, such as our school coat drive
• Strong collaboration between retired administration and the current staff to maintain consistency in student education and family support
* K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to McCormack Middle School.
Special academic programs:
• AVID college readiness program
• Boston Ballet City Dance, Kraft Family and Patriots Charitable Foundation, Boston Community Music Center, Boston Partners in Education, Citizens Bank, City Mission Society of Boston, EdVestors, Hale Reservation, Harvard, Tufts and Boston universities, Boston College, Harbor Islands, Wakefield Estates
Before and after school programs in our building:
• After school: Girls LEAP empowerment program for girls in grades 4-5; Russell Runs track and field program for K-grade 5; Robotics for grades 3-5; Girls in Science for girls in grades 4-5 to encourage early interest in science and engineering; Tech Goes Home training for families on the use of technology for education