Quincy Upper School
Our mission at Josiah Quincy Upper School (JQUS) is to develop our students to be knowledgeable, productive members of a global society in the 21st century. Our philosophy is to nurture, educate and develop the whole student. Our four “Pavilions” promote this philosophy: Information, Cultural, Renewal, and Path-Finding.
We have a longer day on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. The school features daily world language, regular physical education, Advanced Placement (AP) classes, classes in the arts, teacher mentors, and an after school program. We are the only school in New England with both an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program and an International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, a rigorous course of study recognized worldwide.
In addition, we have a strong college counseling program that helps students in the application process and offers SAT preparation courses. School social workers provide student support services, helping students and their parents to address particular needs. Every teacher leads a small student advisory group that meets daily to deal with interpersonal issues and promote sound behavioral decisions.
Students completing fifth grade at the Josiah Quincy Elementary School are guaranteed assignment to JQUS grade 6.
What makes our school special:
• International Baccalaureate Diploma and International Baccalaureate Middle Years programs
• Theater arts and music
• Physical education and sports teams
• Mandarin and Spanish language programs
• After-school enrichment programs
• Teachers as leaders
• Corporate partnerships
• Pathfinding and Renewal focus
• Facilities: auditorium, computer lab
* K-12 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment for students from Quincy Elementary.
Special academic programs:
• International Baccalaureate programs
• Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grade 6
• AVID college readiness program
• Big Brother / Big Sister, Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center, Boston Public Health Commission, Holland & Knight Law Firm, Northeastern University, Peer Health Exchange, State Street Bank, Tufts University / Tufts Medical Center, University of New Hampshire, Wang Chinatown YMCA
Before and after school programs in our building:
• After school: Students are offered a choice of academic and non-academic courses.