The Michael J. Perkins School is the “Home of Outstanding World Learners.” We are preparing to provide our children with an unparalleled learning experience that broadens them as thinkers, problem-solvers, and change agents. With solid teaching and learning, we are enhancing the creativity, passion, and optimism each child brings to our campus. Our goal is to educate, empower, and elevate each young person to excellence as learners and global citizens.
Our children flourish because we have developed a Student Success Team model where we focus on the social, emotional, physical, and intellectual needs of the Whole Child. Our Student Success Team compromises of a cohort of educators, advocates, specialists, parents, and community partners who are invested in cultivating resources and interventions to support our children.
Historically the Michael J. Perkins School has established itself as the cream of the crop because of our focus on excellent teaching as well as family and community partnerships. With the school, every family, and every community partner committed to extending the learning past the school doors, our children have a chance to rise to their greatest potential.
What makes our school special:
• We enhance our students’ academic genius potential with studies in technology, literacy, oceanography, animal studies, number sense, algebraic reasoning, geometry, government and civics, arts, reader’s theater, poetry, music, physical education, and more.
• We prepare our students to be great citizens with our exclusive “Fill the Bucket” program.
• We strengthen student leadership via our Michael J. Perkins Student Council, Brothers of Distinction Boys’ Group, Michael J. Perkins Girls’ Group” and Perkins Pride Ambassadors Program.
• We empower parents with education, leadership, and advocacy workshops through Parent University.
• We established our school as “Wellness Champions” and a “Top Notch Green School” with our recycling program.
• We elevate our children’s ability to succeed with programs such as BOKS before school fitness, Big Brother, Big Sister mentoring, Boston Partners in Education, potluck literacy nights, Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) book celebrations, and more
* K-12 Pathway: Perkins 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Dearborn School, which is becoming a STEM (seicnce/technology/engineering/math) school for grades 6-12.
• Beacon Communities, BOKS, Boston Housing Authority, Boston University Dental School, Community Music Center for Boston, Fourth Presbyterian Church of South Boston, Joseph M. Tierney Learning Center, Lesley University, MassSTART/Wediko Children’s Services, South Bay Mental Health, South Boston Boys & Girls Club, Boys & Girls Club of Dorchester, Suffolk Construction Co. Inc., UMass Boston
Before and after school programs in our building:
• No programs in our building. Our children attend after school programs at the South Boston Boys & Girls Club, Joseph M. Tierney Learning Center, and Paraclete Academy. All three programs are within walking distance of our school.