The Otis has a diverse and dedicated group of highly qualified teachers that reflect the diversity of our student population. Most of the Otis staff speaks two or more languages. Most have their ESL license in addition to their primary license.
Our students enjoy a full complement of art, music, theater, science and computers. We always end our year on a high note with our fifth graders’ annual full-scale musical production in June.
We consider families our partners in achieving success for their children. We know that the family serves as the child’s first teacher. Having a relationship with families will only give us more information that will help us do our job better. The Otis is one of a few select schools that employ a full-time Community Field Coordinator. This position plays a vital role in communicating with families on school policies and student progress. We have weekly Tuesday morning breakfast meetings workshops with families. We also have an active Parent Council, with representatives on our School Based Management team.
The Otis believes that all students can achieve success. We also believe that we need to provide students and parents with support. Each summer students receive a summer reading book by grade level and a book report to complete. They also receive an additional two books to read over the summer as well an assignment to complete.
What makes our school special:
• New computer lab with 25 laptop computers, and new keyboard lab
• Full-time Community Field Coordinator
• Diverse, multilingual staff
• Multilingual program for English language learners in K1-grade 4
• Highest percentage of parents attending Boston Public Schools Parent University
• Specialist teachers for art, music, dance, science, and computers
• Grade 5 presentation of "The Music of Motown" in 2015
• First Family Friendly School in BOston Public Schools
• Interactive Polyvision whiteboards in every classroom.
• Partnership with Harborside Community Center to offer parents after-school ESL classes
• Active Parent Council, with representatives on our School Site Council
* K-8 Pathway: Otis 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Edwards Middle School or Umana Academy.
Special academic programs:
• Special Education: Integrated Early Childhood program, K0/K1
• English Language learners: Sheltered English Instruction (SEI)
• Arbour Counseling Services, Boston Institute for Psychotherapy, Boston Ballet, Boston College, East Boston YMCA, East Boston Community Health Center, Harborside Community Center, Kiwanis Club of East Boston, Read Boston, and UMass Boston.
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, 7:30-8:15 am: BOKS Fitness Program; tutoring
• After school: program for students of parents enrolled in on-site ESL school program, Monday-Thursdays, 2:30-4:45 pm.
After school tutoring by Otis teachers for select students, times and days vary.YMCA after-school program, 2:30-6:00 pm.