Orchard Gardens K-8 School
Orchard Gardens K-8 Pilot School guarantees all students a rigorous academic experience, provided in an environment that values and celebrates strong relationships between students, staff, families, and community. All students will believe in their ability to achieve and be offered a wide range of enrichments to be fully prepared for success in college and career.
Orchard Gardens K-8 Pilot School is on track to becoming one of the top performing schools in the state. In order to achieve this goal, we will:
- Create and support teams of highly skilled educators who share a commitment to high achievement though data, high quality professional development and opportunities to work, plan and reflect together
- Ensure students will be educated through the creation and support of a safe learning environment and taught by educators differentiating instruction to meet specific, rigorous goals
- Commit our school to work closely with our strategic community partners to provide expanded learning time for all students, provide educational and engagement opportunities to all members of our community, and give families multiple opportunities to get involved with our school.
Through these steps, all our students will be fully prepared for success in college and career.
Special academic programs:
- An innovative “pilot” school for kindergarten through 8th grade
- Music, art, theater, dance, library media program
- Multiple extended day programs
- Guidance counselor and student support coordinator
- Strong partnerships with families through monthly progress reports
- Family coordinators who partner with families to access additional services
- A beautiful, state of the art building built in 2003
- Clubs and sports after school for students in grades 3-8
- Specialized strand for students with disabilities
- Full inclusion model with skilled intervention teachers providing specialized support
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for Spanish and Cape Verdean Creole speaking students
- Specialized program for students with interrupted formal education
After school programs in our building:
- Boston Medical Center, Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI), Mass 2020, New England Conservatory of Music, PlayBall Foundation, Playworks (recess and class game time), and Thompson Island Outward Bound Program.
- After school programs, all free: City Year (grades 3-5), Citizen Schools (mandatory for all 6th-8th grade students); America SCORES soccer and writing program (grades 3-5); sports and clubs (eligibility based on attendance and grades)