Orchard Gardens K-8 Pilot School guarantees all students a rigorous academic experience, provided in an environment that values and celebrates strong relationships among students, staff, families, and community. All students believe in their ability to achieve and are offered a wide range of enrichments to be fully prepared for success in college and career.
Our committed, caring teachers are highly skilled in developing independent thinkers and learners. The school provides a clean, safe and welcoming environment to children, families and members of all communities.
Students at Orchard Gardens have additional learning time, which gives students significantly more time in academics, arts and enrichment activities. Orchard Gardens has free after-school programs until 5:15 pm for students in all grades.
Monthly grade level newsletters and individual progress reports keep families updated on school events and academic progress. Twice a year, parents are invited to art shows featuring student work and performances. Four times a year, parents are invited to publishing parties showcasing the stories or pieces written by students.
What makes our school special:
• An innovative pilot school for kindergarten–grade 8
• “Community building” theme: children do best academically and socially when their families and communities are strong and involved
• Music, art, theater, dance, library media program, and physical education
• Several extended day programs until 5:15 pm, including BELL, City Year, and Citizen Schools
• Guidance counselor and student support coordinator to facilitate student group sessions
• Strong partnerships with families through monthly family events, parent committees and parent representation on the Board of Trustees
• Family coordinators who partner with families to access additional services
• A beautiful, state-of-the-art building built in 2003 with outdoor play spaces, gymnasium, music and art rooms, and a dance studio
• Clubs and sports for students in grades 3-8 including soccer, football, basketball, volleyball, track, dance and cheerleading
• Opportunities for all interested students to take instrumental music lessons
Special academic programs:
• Specialized strand for students with disabilities
• Full inclusion model with skilled intervention teachers providing specialized support
• Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for Spanish and Cape Verdean Creole speaking students
• Specialized program for students with interrupted formal education
• BELL Foundation, Boston Arts Academy, Boston Medical Center, Boston Teacher Residency, Boys and Girls Club, Citizen Schools, City Year, Dudley Promise Corps, PlayBall! Foundation, Playworks (recess and class game time), Thompson Island Outward Bound program.
After school programs in our building:
• After school free programs, to 5:15 pm: BELL (K-grade 5); City Year (grade 4); Citizen Schools (mandatory for all 5th-8th grade students); America SCORES soccer and poetry program (grades 3-5); Student Council (grades 3-5); Strong Women, Strong Girls (grades 3-5); sports and clubs (eligibility based on attendance and grades)
• After school paid program: Imajine That (K-grade 1)