Our committed, caring teachers are highly skilled in developing independent thinkers and learners. The school provides a clean, safe and welcoming environment to children, families and members of all communities. Students at Orchard Gardens have additional learning time, which gives students significantly more time in academics, arts and enrichment activities. Orchard Gardens has free after-school programs until 5:15 pm for students in all grades.
Monthly grade level newsletters and individual progress reports keep families updated on school events and academic progress. Twice a year, parents are invited to art shows featuring student work and performances. Four times a year, parents are invited to publishing parties showcasing the stories or pieces written by students.
• An innovative pilot school for kindergarten–grade 8
• A nationally-recognized arts program featuring music, art, theater, dance, and media classes
• Several extended day programs until 5:15 pm, including BELL, City Year, and Citizen Schools
• Guidance counselor and student support coordinator to meet student needs
• Strong partnerships with families through monthly family events, parent committees and parent representation on the Board of Trustees
• Family coordinators who partner with families to access additional services
• A beautiful, state-of-the-art building built in 2003 with outdoor play spaces, gymnasium, music and art rooms, and a dance studio
• Clubs and sports for students in grades 3-8 including soccer, football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, track, dance, double-dutch and cheer leading
• Opportunities for all interested students to take instrumental music lessons
Special academic programs:
• Specialized strand for students with disabilities
• Full inclusion model with skilled intervention teachers providing specialized support
• Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for Spanish and Cape Verdean Creole speaking students
• Specialized program for students with interrupted formal education
• BELL Foundation, Boston Arts Academy, Boston Medical Center, Boston Teacher Residency, Boys and Girls Club, Citizen Schools, City Year, Dudley Promise Corps, PlayBall! Foundation, Playworks (recess and class game time), Thompson Island Outward Bound program.