The Hugh Roe O’Donnell School is a safe, successful, high-performing and family-friendly school. Our community welcomes students of all ethnicities, and we recognize and celebrate the deep cultural diversity that the O’Donnell School represents.
We offer a strong academic program. The AVID college prep program is mandatory for grades 4 and 5. A-Net tests helps prepare students for MCAS in grades 3-5. Students also benefit from Reading Street, History Alive K-5, TERC II math, science classes, and outdoor garden learning.
All students have physical education, digital art, science, music and computer. Our bilingual nurse leads health services.
Our active School Parent Council meets monthly, with childcare provided. All communication with families is in English and Spanish.
We offer after school tutoring for students who need additional support. Our students have access to the YMCA’s off-site, extended-day program.
What makes our school special:
• First in Math computerized enrichment program for grades 1–5
• History Alive social studies for K–grade 5
• Hatchett Book Group and Generations Inc. reading initiatives for primary grades
• 10 Boys Initiative mentorship programs for at-risk ethnic minority boys.
• Neighborhood of Affordable Housing (NOAH) summer program
• Discovering Justice character development, social justice and citizen awareness program
• Project ALERTA/UMass Boston academic enrichment for Latino students
• Tech Goes Home: parents and students take computer classes together and can buy a computer with a no-interest loan
• Playground and outdoor classroom
* K-8 Pathway: O’Donnell 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Edwards Middle School or Umana Academy.
Special academic programs:
• AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) college readiness for grades 4 and 5
• Achievement Network for grades 3-5
• Alliance for a Healthy Generation, BOKS Reebok fitness program, East Boston Social Center & Health Center, Fitness Forward / Drive 2 fitness program, Generations Incorporated Literacy Program, Hatchett Book Group volunteer readers, Shady Hill School teacher training program, YMCA Tutorial Alliance program.
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: Reebok BOKS fitness program (12 weeks)
• After school: YMCA extended day program every day (off site);
Tech Goes Home computer classes for all families
• Before and after: O’Donnell school-based tutorial program• Summer: NOAH Summer Schoolyard Day Camp, July-August.