O'Donnell Elementary School
The Hugh Roe O’Donnell School is a safe, successful, family-friendly school. Our community welcomes students of all ethnicities, and we recognize and celebrate the deep cultural diversity that the O’Donnell School represents.
We offer a strong academic program. The AVID college prep program is mandatory for grades 4 and 5. Data Inquiry sessions prepare students in grades 3-5 for PARCC testing. Students also benefit from Reading Street, History Alive K-5, TERC II math, and science classes. We also engage in outdoor garden learning.
All students have physical education, computer, digital art, science, music and dance. Our active School Parent Council meets monthly, with childcare provided. All communication with families is in English and Spanish.
We offer after school tutoring for students who need additional support. Our students have access to the YMCA’s off-site, extended-day program.
• First in Math computerized enrichment program for grades 1–5
• Study Island computerized test preparation program for grade 3
• History Alive social studies for kindergarten–grade 5
• Hatchett Book Group and Generations Inc. reading initiatives for students in the primary grades
• 10 Boys Initiative mentorship programs for at-risk ethnic minority boys.
• Neighborhood of Affordable Housing (NOAH) summer program
• Discovering Justice character development, social justice and citizen awareness program
• Tech Goes Home: parents and students take computer classes together and can buy a computer with a no-interest loan
• Playground and outdoor classroom
* K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Edwards Middle School or Umana Academy.
Special academic programs:
• AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) college readiness for grades 4 and 5
• Project ALERTA/UMass Boston academic and enrichment for Latino students
• Alliance for a Healthy Generation, BOKS Reebok fitness program, East Boston Social Center & Health Center, Fitness Forward / Drive 2 fitness program, Generations Incorporated literacy program, Hatchett Book Group volunteer readers, Shady Hill School teacher training program, YMCA Tutorial Alliance program.
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: Reebok BOKS fitness program (12 week cycles)
• After school: YMCA extended day program every day (off site);
Tech Goes Home computer classes for all families
• Before and after: O’Donnell school-based tutorial program
• Summer: NOAH Summer Schoolyard Day Camp, July-August.