The Murphy School has won numerous honors. We have many staff members who have been recognized on a city, state and national level for their accomplishments. Our before and after school programs are models for the state. We take great pride in our students’ success.
Murphy students are achieving great progress and success in core academic areas because teachers devote more uninterrupted time to these subjects every day. Grades 3-8 are departmentalized, allowing teachers to instruct one core subject. We have a range of extra-time programs – before school, after school, and exam school preparation. We keep class sizes smaller by adding paraprofessionals, graduate interns, and student teachers to each classroom team to increase the number of adults available to help students. As a result, students receive more attention and individual instruction.
Teachers are highly trained in teaching reading, writing, mathematics, science and the use of computers as a tool for learning. We have a new computer lab as well as a mobile computer lab that travels to each classroom.
Special subjects include swimming, physical education, science, computers, music, and chorus.
What makes our school special:
• MACC before and after school programs in collaboration with the Leahy-Holleran Community Center
• Partnership with Berklee College, House of Blues and Urban Voices
• Interns and student teachers from Emmanuel College, Tufts University, UMass and Mass General Hospital to assist in classrooms
• A dedicated faculty, including lead teachers, master teachers, teacher-coaches, a Golden Apple Award winner, two Milken Educators of the Year, three Boston Teachers of the Year, and a finalist for the Massachusetts Teacher of the Year award
• Preparation for Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) for all students in grades 6 and 8
• Swimming, music, art, technology, and physical education
• Renovated gym with rock wall
• Computers in every classroom and two new computer labs
• Strong parent involvement, with coffee hours and active committees
• Partnerships with many businesses, universities, and cultural organizations.
• Partnership with Play Ball! Foundation, providing competitive sports teams for our middle school students
Special academic programs:
• Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grades 4-6
• AVID college readiness program
• Boston Arts Academy String Program, Children’s Services of Greater Boston, Community Music Center of Boston, Emmanuel College and Graduate School, Northeastern University, Reebok, Simmons College, Stop and Shop, The French Library, University of Massachusetts Boston
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, 7:30-8:15 am, Monday through Friday. BOKS Kidz fitness is Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 7:00-8:00.
• After school, to 6:15: Prime Time, Monday-Friday; homework help, art, music, technology, chess, science, history, renewable energy, drama, Destination Imagination and instrumental music lessons.
• Saturday Scholars, Saturdays, 9:00 am-Noon• Summer STARS in July, Monday-Friday, 9:00 am-2:00 pm