Murphy K-8 School
The Murphy School is an award-winning K-8 school with a diverse population. Many of our staff members have been recognized on a city, state and national level for their accomplishments. We take great pride in our students’ success.
We have a great partnership with the Leahy-Holloran Community Center that supports our strong before and after school programs. This includes swimming, art and the BOKS program, a collaboration with Reebok that encourages physical fitness and nutrition. We also offer a Saturday program that prepares students for success on the Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE), the admission test for the exam schools.
Murphy students achieve great progress and success in core academic areas because teachers devote more uninterrupted time to these subjects every day. Grades 4 through 8 are departmentalized, allowing teachers to instruct in one core subject and grow as experts in their subject area.
We have two computer labs, a library, gym and pool. Teachers are also trained at using our two new mobile labs, which give students access to Macbooks and Chromebooks in the classroom.
• Passionate and dedicated teachers
• Before and after school programs
• Many community partnerships, like Berklee College, House of Blues, Urban Improv, Boston vs. Bullies Reebok, and many more
• Strong parental involvement
• Competitive sports for our middle school grades, including our award winning double- dutch team
• Many teachers qualified to teach English language learners
• Interns and student teachers from Emmanuel College, Tufts University, Northeastern University, UMass and Mass General Hospital to assist in classrooms
• Preparation for Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) for all students in grades 6 and 8
• Swimming, music, art, technology, and physical education
• Renovated gym with rock wall
Special academic programs:
• Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grades 4-6
• AVID college readiness program
• Boston Arts Academy String Program, Children’s Services of Greater Boston, Community Music Center of Boston, Emmanuel College and Graduate School, Northeastern University, Reebok, Simmons College, Stop and Shop, The French Library, University of Massachusetts Boston
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, 7:30-8:15 am, Monday through Friday. BOKS Kidz fitness is Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 7:00-8:00.
• After school, Monday-Friday: homework help, art, music, technology, chess, science, history, renewable energy, drama, Destination Imagination and instrumental music lessons.