The Mendell School is truly a magical learning community! We are dedicated to educating a diverse, inclusive community of lifelong learners who stand tall as a mighty force for good in their neighborhoods.
Students with disabilities are fully included in the general education classroom, with additional staff to support all our learners and keep class size smaller. We use the Response to Intervention model to provide targeted supports to students based on individual needs and monitor their progress.
We value the social-emotional development of our students and use the Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) model to teach, celebrate and reinforce our core values. The Open Circle program is imbedded in all classrooms to give our students the tools to manage their emotions and solve problems effectively. Two full-time counselors work with individuals and groups to promote the development of a safe, positive school climate.
Our award-winning arts program includes art and music teachers and after-school music opportunities. We also have a full-time science teacher and a state-of-the-art outdoor classroom for hands-on science education.
Finally, we are committed to ensuring all of our families are connected with their child’s learning and our school community. Our Family Engagement Team works to build a welcoming, inclusive parent community and plan monthly family events.
- A small school with a safe, nurturing environment
- Strategic, data-driven instruction to meet the needs of all learners
- Music, visual and performing arts, physical education, science, and social studies
- Two school-based counselors from Boston College City Connects and Brighton Allston Mental Health Association to provide individual and group counseling services
- Leadership Teams
- Choral music program with Community Music Center of Boston, Classroom Cantata Singers, and the Metropolitan Opera
- Many family activities, including workshops on how to prepare children for state tests, family literacy and math, and fun activities such as Magical Mendell Day
- Inclusive school with increased supports for all learners
- Newly designed and developed Outdoor Classroom
- Partnership with EdVestors to deepen and enhance rigor of instruction for all learners
- Active Parent Council that supports fundraising, marketing and teaching and learning
- Guaranteed assignment to the Timilty Middle School
Special academic programs
- Expanding inclusive offerings that provide rigorous teaching and learning to all learners in a general education classroom setting, including accelerated learners and students with disabilities
- Additional school partners: Northeastern University and Simmons College interns and Playworks movement and physical education
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:30-9:00 am: provided by Mendell staff and interns, offering clubs including art, physical activity, and technology; also BOKS fitness program
- After school: run by YMCA for all students in K1-grade 5. Sliding fee scale. Homework support, enrichment opportunities, and more; also free tutoring for students who need extra help