Mendell Elementary School
The Mendell School is truly a magical learning community! We are dedicated to educating a diverse, inclusive community of lifelong learners who stand tall as a mighty force for good in their neighborhoods.
Students with disabilities are fully included in the general education classroom, with additional staff to support all our learners and keep class size smaller. We use the Response to Intervention model to provide targeted supports to students based on individual needs and monitor their progress.
We value the social-emotional development of our students and use the Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) model to teach, celebrate and reinforce our core values. The Open Circle program is imbedded in all classrooms to give our students the tools to manage their emotions and solve problems effectively. Two full-time counselors work with individuals and groups to promote the development of a safe, positive school climate.
Our award-winning arts program includes art and music teachers and after-school music opportunities. We also have a full-time science teacher and a state-of-the-art outdoor classroom for hands-on science education.
Finally, we are committed to ensuring all of our families are connected with their child’s learning and our school community. Our Family Engagement Team works to build a welcoming, inclusive parent community and plan monthly family events.
• Small school of fewer than 240 students with two classes per grade
• Caring and committed teachers who are highly qualified, with general education licenses at all grades levels and special education and ESL licensure at most grade levels.
• Two full-time school counselors to provide individual and group counseling services and family support services
• Full-time science teacher for all grade levels
• Comprehensive arts program with a full-time art teacher for all grades
• Weekly music education for students in grades K1-1 through a partnership with Community Music Center; a musical cantata writing and performance program for students in grade 2 through Classroom Cantatas; and classroom-based “urban opera” program for students in grades 3-5 sponsored by the Metropolitan Opera
• After-school Chorus Club for students in grades 3-5
• Physical education and recess activities provided by full-time Playworks coach; plus a part-time physical education teacher
• Brand New outdoor classroom for hands-on instruction in science and the arts
• Active Parent Council and School Site Council who support the school and build community
* K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Timilty Middle School.
Special academic programs:
• Expanding inclusive offerings that provide rigorous teaching and learning to all learners in a general education classroom setting, including accelerated learners and students with disabilities.
• EdVestors Improving Schools Initiative to support academic rigor for all!; Classroom Cantata Singers grade 2 music program; Community Music Center of Boston grades K1-1 music education and after-school chorus; Metropolitan Opera “Urban Voices” for grades 3-5; City Connects/Boston College school counselor; Brighton Allston Mental Health Association school counselor; New England Conservatory K2 and after-school music program; Northeastern University and Simmons College interns; Boston Partners in Education math tutoring; Playworks fitness and recess support
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, 7:30-9:00 am: provided by Mendell staff and interns; clubs, enrichment and homework support
• After school: run by YMCA for all students in K1- Grade 5. Sliding scale fees. Homework support, enrichment opportunities including Girl Scouts, karate and Zumba and more; free tutoring